Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Gearbox help please

Guys,
    2bits of help required....I have found the source of the bad leak on my Griffon Box - right hand inner case loose - so want to re-seal it...........

First bit of help is my Wife has synchronised my i-phone contacts and mysteriously I have lost key mobile numbers for these matters like Dave Harper and Geoff Nunn !! yet i have full access to her mates numbers !!

Second bit of help (serously) is as box is working perfectly - don't want to take out of the bike - can I take off that inner casing in situ - and reseal and replace? The oil is leaking through into the outer casing via the bottom bollt hole /locator plug...but now the inner seal is broken it will leak there as well I suspect if i just re-seal the outer case and bolt up tight.

I have removed the three inner bolts (top left bottom right and the one retaining the kickstart spring ) and the casing moves outwards about 1/3 in but no more. My plan was to put bike on its side and remove casing - but clearly there is something I am missing here....and indeed is that sensible - will I end up with a collection of gearbox internals on the garage floor?)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated - Cheers Kim
    Attached Files

From memory kim, once all the bolts are removed its free to come off, but because of the seal, the inner casing does cling to the gear selector shaft,
    Best to push against the gear shaft & work the casing about gently to help it come free.
    Its been a while since i`ve done one, but i`m pretty sure there`s nothing else, but the kick start spring bolt also holds the pawl stop on the other side, so put it back in & remove the clutch cable adjuster as well, give it some room to move about........
    Last edited by dave higgins; 02/01/2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave ..appreciate the input. Managed to get job done ....
      Next job check on sprocket ( worked loose 2 meetings before end of season and did a arush job on it .... Then fix the squish clearance and I am ready to race again

Comment

Sounds like santa has given you a little spanner set for xmas......

Comment

Haha how did u guess

Comment

Tip from DH

Cover all re sealed filled with oil today ran up the engine and all good no leaks. A tip from Dave Harper . Put thread sealant of some description on the bottom long bolt and dowel as that is where oil can leak into the outer casing as bolt goes all way into g box ....
            Seems to work .... And if it saves an engine out job this winter well worth it !

Comment

Working...
            X