"Hawkstone"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hawkstone"

I've just bought a Hawkstone! It's a bike known to some of you here, I bought it from Richard Aris, apparently it's the bike with which he won the Hawkstone class in the first ever Greeves championship.

It could do with a bit of tidying up, which I'll see to over the winter, but mechanically it seems good, and the engine sounds crisp.

It has an alloy square barrel so its more of a MCS replica than a Hawkstone per-se. Frame number is 25DCX 145, so evidently started life as a roadster. Engine number is 419F 30937, would that be a 34a? The plate where it says "Engine Type" is scratched and illegible just where the type designation would be.

The barrel doesn't look like the Greeves ones in Colin Sparrow's excellent book, out of interest can anyone identify it please?

Thanks, David
    Attached Files

Barrel looks like a Parkinson. Thanks for heads up on frame number David, another survivor identified all be it no longer a DCX roadster
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/07/2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Regarding the engine number, the 'F' suffix appears to indicate a very late Villiers engine, probably around 1967-69. I can't find the exact model number from Roy Bacon's list, which he himself said is incomplete.

Yours looks older, typically a 9E/32A/34A, but bear in mind that the engine number plate is attached not to the crankcase but to the primary chaincase, which itself is a Minicar type, which was later fitted to the 36A/37A engines.

Then there is the Parkinson barrel; the roadster frame; who knows what parts have been matched up to each other over the years? As long as it works, that's the main thing!

Comment

Thanks both!

Yes it's been bought to be used, so all that matters is that it's functional, and it clearly was in Richard's capable hands. Also since it's something of a "bitza" I can tidy it up with a clear conscience, without having to worry about preserving patina etc.

Regarding the barrel I've been told it might be a DMW item. Characteristics are eight horizontal fins (three of which are 'shaped' near the inlet port on the drive side), bolt-on inlet manifold with three bolts, four bolt exhaust fitting, and no vertical slot in the fins between exhaust port and transfer ports. Really doesn't matter but I am curious as to what it is.

I'm very much enjoying this forum and being part of the GRA!

Comment

Working...
        X