No announcement yet.

325 East Coaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are right a left over UK East Coaster. I think the extra wire has something to do with the rectifier being 1/2 wave or full wave extra connection on the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
      The wiring harness is that of a 25DC and 25DD MK2 (4T Engine East Coaster) and Essex.
      Perhaps as the bike was to be an East Coster (although in fact a 32DD) they used existing East Coaster harnesses. This caused a slight difference as the 325 has a six way socket not 5, hence the wiring of the plug in a slightly different order. Maybe someone knows why the wiring was done this way?

Anyway off to Stafford tomorrow to look for a horn for it - anyone got a wind tone Mixo horn lurking in their shed
      I've a feeling you can buy these horns new. Try Googling it.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I think 6 volt ones may be a bit difficult, but do come up on eBay from time to time. I a found a 12volt one and modified it inside (weakened the spring) There is a second hand one on the net in France @ 75 francs which looks like the one used on EC https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2019713

Comment

I now have a horn sitting on a members shelf waiting for me -
          The mudguard and chain guard have both turned up, both in really good condition apart
          from the bracket which was not very well spot welded and has become detached.

Was that normal practice to paint the items then spot weld together after?

Comment

Weld before painting

Certainly looks like it was painted before welding Tony.for spot welding you would need to leave spaces to weld and still have to paint

Comment

Tank brackets

I had a reply from Stan in Canada who owns a 325 East Coaster, with a picture of the rear tank mounts.
              His picture shows exactly the same mis alignment as my tank does. I believe a couple of members have
              commented on this however I would like to know why the tank straps were not altered to fit correctly,
              or were they replacement tanks?

Comment

In what way do the tank straps not fit Tony? The arrangement is the same for the UK East Coaster and I assume any of the other steel tanked 25DC's

Comment

They meets at an angle and therefore will only sit flush if tightened really hard and then it will bend the brackets.

Comment

That's how they are made, you could tweak the ends of brackets to sit sguare with frame, front seat mounting fits over them on same bolt.

Comment

Genuine Factory Bodge then?!!
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Engine revamp

Paul (Cotton Villiers) has given the engine a rebore after I had removed the seized pistons. He fitted a new primary chain, clutch was okay and the gearbox once the grease had been removed was okay as well (mechanism needed sorting but little wear which again points too the low recorded mileage).
                        All ready to go back in the frame -

Comment

Clutch cable rooting

Does the clutch cable travel down inside the cradle and exit through the hole shown in the photo?

Comment

NO it goes through hole in BOTH engine plates from the LH side.

Comment

It was the routing after coming out of the engine which I wanted to get right.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                                It was the routing after coming out of the engine which I wanted to get right.
                                Out of the gearbox!! yes it goes through both holes to exit in a curve on the outside of the LH engine plate then routed up the beam to handle bars. The adjusting nut needs to be small enough to pass through the holes. When I changed my clutch cable few years ago I had to file down the flats on nut. This adjustment only needs to be accessed once, after that you adjust it via the screw on the operating arm. Bit of a fiddly job.

Comment

Working...
                                X