Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Projects

Old 26/02/2017, 11:42 AM
Basic User

Smile Greeves griffon 380 restoration

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and new to greeves, recently purchased a 1969 griffon 380.
Completely stripped with frame, swingarm and brackets sent away for blasting and powder coating and engine cases is away having some alloy welding done on the gearbox lugs.

Won't be long until I start to rebuild it and get out on it. Already have to hand the bushes, bearings and seals ready to go but I have a few questions;

What bolt/threads are used for the ceriani yoke fork clamps?

Is there a modern sealed bearing replacement for the rear wheel bearings not the caged roller type?

Thanks David
Old 26/02/2017, 02:30 PM
Basic User

Thanks Dave, yes I am aware of the full membership of the GPA, I picked up a form at Telford.
Any recommendations as to where I can get a new pair of caged roller rear wheel bearings? Or is villiers services, tds and hobbit the best places who i have dealrd with thus far. I havent had any experience with greeves motorcycles Ltd yet so can't comment on their stock or what they offer.
Thanks David
Old 26/02/2017, 08:49 PM
GRA Member

Location: North West. RAS, RCS,RDS & RES Silverstone, RFS Oulton, Super Cub, Burgman 400

Simply Bearings Leigh for all bearings and seals. Superb service, post free, budget to top quality, personally use Koyo bearings throughout. Dogsbody
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/
Old 08/10/2017, 08:34 PM
Basic User

Cool finished, well sort of.

Well, the griffon is rebuilt and running.
I took it up my local track, I'm a regular on my b25 and 250 stormer. It's Rocky and runs up and down the side of a valley, in Wales, obviously.
It was poor track conditions very wet and muddy and foot deep ruts! But my GOD! What an amazing bike the griffon 380 is, powersliding and pulling wheelie every time you give it a bit!
The engine had freed up after a lap or two and had to make a few adjustments to the idle, clutch and brakes, the usual.
But I am officially sold on the greeves marque! I will upgrade my memberhip soon and post images of my restoration!
Old 09/10/2017, 09:04 AM
GRA Member

You will have to set your sights on visiting us in Essex for some real Greeves action, care of the Pre-65 MX Club, or a bit nearer to you, the Mortimer Club's events near Reading. The speed and skill shown at the front of the races is really awesome!
Old 09/10/2017, 04:01 PM
Basic User

Talking

Thanks! I'm definitely looking into entering a few pre65s and 74s and maybe dabble in the greeves championship next season, bit late now.
Old 09/10/2017, 08:48 PM
GRA Member

If you come up to any of the Mortimer events, THE GRA Hostility suite is usually present, depending on various factors, but it does not seem to be able to venture round the M25 to get to Essex. If you venture that far, best bring your own supplies, as it's bleak and deserted....there are usually several Greeves encampments at these events, depending on who remembered to bring their tools...or fuel...or a bike!
Old 09/10/2017, 09:35 PM
GRA Member

And don't forget to download a translator app if you venture to Essex. they don't half talk funny but they are mostly harmless.
Old 09/10/2017, 10:00 PM
Basic User

Thumbs up

Well that all depends on my accent itself, fairly fast and strong Welsh accent!

I'm looking forward to it! Never done any form of actually racing myself, only enduro and chasing 5 month old bikes on my 50 year old bikes up the local tracks!