Petrol/ oil mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol/ oil mixture

Can someone recommend the correct petrol/ oil mixture for Villiers two-stroke engines, using modern two-stroke oils? Not 16 to 1, I hope!

I use semi synthetic at 30:1 runs well and not to much smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickhowell View Post
      Can someone recommend the correct petrol/ oil mixture for Villiers two-stroke engines, using modern two-stroke oils? Not 16 to 1, I hope!
      Villers recomended 20:1 but ok on 25:1 on modern mineral oil. Synthetic in low ratios not recommended, as Villiers are old technology & dont like to run too 'dry' Also carb setting are set for 20:1 Oil is cheaper than bearings

Comment

I use PJ 1 at 50:1.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Howard View Post
          I use PJ 1 at 50:1.
          Ouch!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Ouch!
            Quite. I can never understand why owners keep asking this question about oil, Villiers clearly stated the oil type & ratio on all their engines, and although oils have improved over the years the basic rules still apply. Modern two stroke oils are designed for oil injected two strokes where it goes directly undiluted into the bearings, the petroil mix is more hit and miss so needs a higher ratio to keep things oiled. As one who has experimented with lower oil ratio's back in the day at my detriment, but when you could buy an exchange 32A crank for around £13, I certainly would not risk it these days with prices now 10 times higher.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/09/2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I just keep pouring "castrol racing" in until the colour is a nice red colour.

Comment

I run 25:1 in my 24TCS, but the boys and girls keep complaining they couldn't find the sections
                Might give 30:1 a try, just to keep the peace, and ignore comment about if a VW mechanic tuned my motor !!!!

whitehillbilly

Comment

I use 27 to 1 (185ml to 5litre) of ordinary 2 strike oil in my '61 25DC and only make smoke under load, particularly on long hills etc.
                  Some years ago I had a big end go when running 33 to 1 and have never gone that low again again.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    Quite. I can never understand why owners keep asking this question about oil, Villiers clearly stated the oil type & ratio on all their engines, and although oils have improved over the years the basic rules still apply. Modern two stroke oils are designed for oil injected two strokes where it goes directly undiluted into the bearings, the petroil mix is more hit and miss so needs a higher ratio to keep things oiled. As one who has experimented with lower oil ratio's back in the day at my detriment, but when you could buy an exchange 32A crank for around £13, I certainly would not risk it these days with prices now 10 tomes higher.
                    That's a good point, John. You can use modern oils provided you ensure that they're labelled as two-stroke premix. But 30:1 is as low as I'd like to go.

By the way, to be inadvertently antisocial on runs, you won't beat a Scott. Straight SAE40 fed direct to the engine bearings regardless of whether the engine is firing or not. Vital to set the Pilgrim pump up right it you don't want to be banished to the back of the group.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                    X