A Greeves adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Greeves adventure

Well not quite an adventure, more an experience. Today I took my Scottish TE for its first MOT for well, donkeys years I guess. I bought it blind off of Ebay in a description described as 'needing work'. Deciding to leave it in the hands of the gods, I gave it a good clean and booked it in for the MOT . My first disaster was that the speedo fell to bits and a bit later the toolbox decided to disintegrate (managed to salvage the parts). I stopped to look for the toolbox spring and then the bike wouldnt start for half an hour until it had cooled down (groan) getting causing me sweat, panic and finally a sore leg. Finally got it to the test station with 2 minutes to spare. After half an hour of anxiety, the tester came back - it had passed!! Joyously i rode home only to find that on arrival home I had lost my number plate, Oh well.

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
    Well not quite an adventure, more an experience. Today I took my Scottish TE for its first MOT for well, donkeys years I guess. I bought it blind off of Ebay in a description described as 'needing work'. Deciding to leave it in the hands of the gods, I gave it a good clean and booked it in for the MOT . My first disaster was that the speedo fell to bits and a bit later the toolbox decided to disintegrate (managed to salvage the parts). I stopped to look for the toolbox spring and then the bike wouldnt start for half an hour until it had cooled down (groan) getting causing me sweat, panic and finally a sore leg. Finally got it to the test station with 2 minutes to spare. After half an hour of anxiety, the tester came back - it had passed!! Joyously i rode home only to find that on arrival home I had lost my number plate, Oh well.
    So presumably the tester did not check that the speedo worked, just in place even in bits
    If you cant put it back together & get it working best to fit one of the cheaper cycle speedos. Get the wired one as the flywheel mag will interfere with wireless ones.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      So presumably the tester did not check that the speedo worked, just in place even in bits
      If you cant put it back together & get it working best to fit one of the cheaper cycle speedos. Get the wired one as the flywheel mag will interfere with wireless ones.
      Haha, no I should have explained, it is a cycle speedo, the unit fell out and the battery with it. I had made a seperate speedo holder to put it in and this is what failed

Comment

John, testing a speedo is not part of the MOT. Just needs to be fitted
        Regular fails were no pillion footrests with a dual seat fitted and no rear reflector. Dogsbody

Comment

If lights are not fitted to bike you do not require a reflector for MOT.
          Last edited by trialrider17; 30/05/2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yes strange that i would take my bike down each year to our local MOT man and the speedo read the same each year, he was not bothered in it, but what is weird is reversing lights dont have to work either on a car ,! but if you have reversing bleepers on newer cars they have to as it shows up on the dash, I think i will look for a Moggy 1000

Comment

Working...
            X