Ranger(4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger(4)

This one will only have a quick make over as it is quite original.
    I have changed the head lamp to a better one and also the binnacle for another original one as it was damaged.
    I have now wired it and all the lights work, I just need to change the tyres before going for an MOT.
    It has an age related plate, though I am not sure how it got the required MOT with old American tyres

Fairly close

As there are a number bits with paint missing I thought I would experiment with some Hammerite. Research on the forum says some black with the blue (bit like the factory mix) will get a colour close to the original (for that bike). Trouble is the colour varies on the bike depending I suspect how it has been stored as there are definitely areas that are 'bleached' lighter, so one colour does not fit all. However I happy just to touch in the rusty areas at this stage to give an overall smarter appearance. Close up it shows but at a distance I think it will be okay, certainly better than rust

Comment

Try T cutting faded paint Tony it may bring back original colour that you can then match

Comment

I have been using rubbing compound however the paint is quite thin so not much left to buff back.

Comment

Also, you could T-cut the areas where the paint has worn off in order to remove rust, then oily rag it. That shows it's battle scars, rather than trying to cover them up with Hammerite.....

Comment

MOT and Taxed

All done, new MOT
            Starts and rides really nicely. I changed the front hub bearings and put new shoes front and back and new TKC 80 tyres. The frame has been touched up with my Moorland blue Hammerite which with a bit of patience you can get nearer enough the same colour. As there is nearly 50 years of sunlight the blue is lighter now than original so adapting the paint accordingly is a quick solution. Obviously if you want concours then you would need to strip and spray or powder coat, but this fine to ride as is.
            The Orange Ranger was the one made before this one 24CS169, this one being 24CS170

Happy days

Last edited by tony; 15/04/2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X