Honda 250, Africa Twin or TFS Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda 250, Africa Twin or TFS Trail

I am in the process of planning a trip, to where is open though Mongolia is on the bucket list. Having done all my trips on large bikes, KTM 990, Tiger 800 I am now down sizing due to weight - not mine. There is a plethora of small adventure bikes being released this year, they have suddenly realised that not everyone is over 6 feet and built like a brick shit house. So there is the Honda 250, Kawasaki 300 BMW 300, Suzuki 250 and not to be left out the mid range Honda 500CBX. I sat on the 250 Honda Rally today, quite tall, however it can be lowered. I also sat on the Africa twin - lovely balance to the bike, feels lighter than the 242Kg the DCT version is. If I was to do a lot of European miles then I would be tempted. However I will probably ship the bike somewhere which saves time, boring large roads and you don't need such a large bike. Given that the average speed in some developing countries is about 30 -40 mph small capacity machines come in to their own, not of course if you want to 'live the dream'.
    Now with a garage full of Greeves, I should really look at utilising some of the existing stock. There are quite a few advantages of using something like my green TFS Trail. It is light, cheap to ship, and does not attract unwanted attention as a rich mans toy.
    I will probably do some touring of Scotland in the summer to see how I enjoy 'slow' touring, and take the road less travelled.

Tony, if you do go to Mongolia and need any info let me know as my wifes cousin Catherine Arnold is the British ambassador in Mongolia !.Good luck with the trip when you go.
    Simon

Comment

Makes good scense Tony to use the TFS trail or even the Ranger. As Dave says much easier to fix than some of the exotic stuff.
      There is an interesting piece in OBM this month by Harry Stainstreet who rode to the 1970 Elephant Rally at the Nurburgring in Germany on a Sprite trials based bike fitted with a 197 8E engine two up with his wife on the back. He had a few problems like the contact breaker spring coming adrift, but with a bit of help from some fellow riders & some basic tools sorted the problem & got there and back. Most riders were on large twins or singles.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. The hardest part is finding someone to go with that you get on with and can trust. Whilst some trips are okay on your own, much of Peru and Ecuador were on my own, there are other places where you need someone else. Wilder areas and less inhabited places are for me where I would want to have someone else. Of course similar types of bikes is always good then there is not the doubling up of spares or tools. I reckon that my next big trip will be Summer 2018, health and money prevailing.
        For those that have never done a trip abroad (motorbike) there are a plethora of reasons why you should not. It is surprising how many barriers you can put in place as to why you cannot do it. However the real barriers is your own self doubt, crack that and you are on your way.
        If you like reading, try this book about Robert Edison Fulton's solo round-the-world tour on a two-cylinder Douglas motorcycle between July, 1932 and December, 1933. It is a great read and brings the places alive in a time when there was no support, little communication and hostility.

Comment

Tony - have you seen the dvd or read the book, 'The Last Hurrah'? Two chaps ride back from China on old bikes chosen for ease of repairs / spares. 19 inch tyres were obtainable and when a fork stanchion cracked, it was easily welded. Compre with that BMW-riding upstairs downstairs way in / round etc. with vast support teams!

Regarding slow bikes, I recently rebored my 'ISDT-type' RE Bullet and set about running it in. I was only going to be doing about 40 mph and thought I would get in peoples's way (more than usual!). Once underway, I was amazed at all the random 40, 50, etc, mph speed limits on the East Sussex roads I chose. It's also the same on the A272 which, in pre-M25 days, was always the main road to the west for us.

Just post on a few spare motors ahead and you'll be fine. My son Ian (constructor of this very forum) has ridden in Burma on a 125 Suzuki and India / nepal on a Bullet. He also owns a CR250 Honda but then the lucky s*d is over 6 ft tall unlike a pigmy like me (I'm still trying to trace the mother!).

If you fancy any long distance test riding you can always ride up here. I can trailer you in if anything goes bang, there is the workshop plus accomodation - easy peasy. May even join you on a UK ride if I can convert a TES or Sottish into something suitable.

The REOC used to have a breakdown scheme whereby members formed a database listing help they could offer to broken down riders in their part of the world. Perhaps we should start a similar scheme? You could be the test pilot Tony, breaking down all over the UK!! Whoops, sorry!

Comment

The idea of a GRA data base of members names & telephone numbers who could help a fellow member in trouble would be a good idea. In fact I made a list of members in East Anglia area some years ago from those published in LL & keep it in my wallet should I need them. I have a breakdown cover on my East Coaster so at the very worst I can get home. But if its a minor thing that fixed could result in one continuing their journey then it would be good. Of course the club no longer publishes members names in LL due to the data protection act

Comment

" Riding Dorothy" by Nathan Millward is the story of his ride from Sydney Australia to the UK in 2009 on a Honda 110cc Postie bike, basically a Honda CT110 modified for the Australian postal service. That includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand,India, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, then the easy bit of Poland and Germany! So big 1200cc adventure bikes are not the way forward. Several lads from the C90 club did Czechoslovakia a few years ago, 40/45mph at a push loaded with camping gear. Dogsbody

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
                " Riding Dorothy" by Nathan Millward is the story of his ride from Sydney Australia to the UK in 2009 on a Honda 110cc Postie bike, basically a Honda CT110 modified for the Australian postal service. That includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand,India, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, then the easy bit of Poland and Germany! So big 1200cc adventure bikes are not the way forward. Several lads from the C90 club did Czechoslovakia a few years ago, 40/45mph at a push loaded with camping gear. Dogsbody
                Some guys also took three Yamaha Townmates across the Sahara http://extremetrifle.com/events_old/...nd-sahara.html
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/03/2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

and of course there is Ed March whose dad lives not that far from me and is building a greeves.
                  If I can fit it in hopefully Scotland in the summer, must have the obligatory family holiday first , mind you the children have long gone

Comment

Ok Tony, I am inspired.
                    Now where can I get a lighting coil and lights for that QUB you gave me?

Craig

Comment

Something like this Craig, actually I did think about making it in to an enduro. The 250's are big enough for me, I will let you big boys play with the 380's

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins
                        looks like a mk2 frame as well......there you go craig.....
                        I think it may be one of the many "adjusted shock mount frames" out there Dave,
                        the pivot point for the swinging arm is Mk1 along with the swinging arm itself.
                        Would be nice to see behind the side panel to check.

Can I have the mudguards please Tony ???????????

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                          Something like this Craig, actually I did think about making it in to an enduro. The 250's are big enough for me, I will let you big boys play with the 380's

The one pictured was in H&H Auction at Duxford in 15/4/2015, dont think it sold at that time. http://www.handh.co.uk/buy/1975-gree...n-enduro/11608

Comment

Unfortunately not my bike Craig, if it was I would certainly let you have the mudguards as they are the wrong shade of Orange, a bit blue for me

Comment

Working...
                            X