Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    Here you go Johnu......this is the one!

Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

As posted by my fellow chuckle bro and erstwhile emu botherer Mr Higgins.

Hope it helps!

Brian.
    Brian, you are a big show off with your searching skills
    Thats what I was trying to say only got confused.

Comment

"Clutch lightener". That's the term I couldn't remember!

Super-Thommo comes up trumps again!
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Trying To Get A Grip.....

Glad it was of help Johnu, nice one! As regards your profession, that doesn't surprise me at all seeing the quality of your resto skills...and THAT pipe.....!!

Craig...I didn't use my 'searching' skills (as taught to me by an old Red Indian tracker called Steve...), I used my 'memory' skills..... Still, I 'aint drink as much wusky as you so it's entirely unstanable....

One thing I didn't mention though, is that a big advantage to using Andy's Kung Fu implements on a regular basis is that he can now strip any knobbly off a wheel in 3 seconds with his bare hands....with all the air still in it......

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/11/2015, 10:19 AM. Reason: Additional drivel.....!!

Comment

I must be doing it all wrong over the years then by using the left hand leaver, i thought all the greeves nowadays had been converted to semi -automatics, as watching at Mortimer no fingers were moving on the left hand going up or down the gears !!do the boots now come with right foot steel under soles

Comment

Dangerous Dicky's Riding Tips!

Hi mate, nice one!

Mind you, Capn' Mainwaring has been putting it about for years that you have an 'extra' control device mounted on your bars...called the 'break' lever....

If so, can I have one as well please....

bRiAn.

Comment

[QUOTE=

One thing I didn't mention though, is that a big advantage to using Andy's Kung Fu implements on a regular basis is that he can now strip any knobbly off a wheel in 3 seconds with his bare hands....with all the air still in it......

Brian.[/QUOTE]

Haha that's a bonus right there

Comment

Don't forget the final tip - EMU OIL..........Brian will explain where he extracts it form ......

My QUB clutch doesn't (yet) have the Higgo bend mod......but a liberal re-oiling and the Dave Harper factory clutch settiing tip that Craig described was enough to get the light action Craig witnessed.
                see this thread....also on previous page (20) take a look at my Yamaha chain tensioner conversion...worked a treat this season and most of the top Griffon riders are doing similar....

Reading the thread properly - there is another key aspect here.........the first griffons had heavy clutches they got the arm design "wrong" so for next season in 1970 they modified the arm..... (source Geoff Nunn - Factory Gearbox Guru).....so whereas the adjustment and oiling will help if you have a newer lever arm....if you have the original one - you will need to replace it and/or do the Higgo Mod as well to get an effective action .....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                  Here you go Johnu......this is the one!

Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

As posted by my fellow chuckle bro and erstwhile emu botherer Mr Higgins.

Hope it helps!

Brian.
                  Botherer...not so much these days mate... i`m a bit off the pace!..to damn fast for me.....
                  Do manage to sneak up on the odd one knapping mind!......taste like chicken!....

Comment

Taking the lube.....

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                    Don't forget the final tip - EMU OIL..........Brian will explain where he extracts it form ......
                    Wotcha Kim!

That, mate,.....is a very good point indeed, one I should have remembered to include!

As for my favourite extraction techniques/methods.....what a great idea for a new thread!!

I could post pics, diagrams, practice routines, left-handed techniques for Griffon riders, correct body armour deployment, recovery excercises, first aid tips......mmmm, leave it with me, I'll see what I can do.......

(I'd better clear it with Matron first though.....)

bRiAn.

Comment

Stealthy Eating.....

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                      Botherer...not so much these days mate... i`m a bit off the pace!..to damn fast for me.....
                      Do manage to sneak up on the odd one knapping mind!......taste like chicken!....
                      Hi mate,

That technique never really worked all that well for me, sadly...... Things improved when I changed my cologne from 'Omar Sharif For Men' to 'Toilet Duck' (a lot cheaper too, but then I am quite cheap, as you know...), but I still found I had to be very very quiet so as not to wake them....Just one snapped twig underfoot and it was curtains/hello matron (again)......

bRiAn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post

My QUB clutch doesn't (yet) have the Higgo bend mod......but a liberal re-oiling and the Dave Harper factory clutch settiing tip that Craig described was enough to get the light action Craig witnessed.
                        see this thread....also on previous page (20) take a look at my Yamaha chain tensioner conversion...worked a treat this season and most of the top Griffon riders are doing similar....

Reading the thread properly - there is another key aspect here.........the first griffons had heavy clutches they got the arm design "wrong" so for next season in 1970 they modified the arm..... (source Geoff Nunn - Factory Gearbox Guru).....so whereas the adjustment and oiling will help if you have a newer lever arm....if you have the original one - you will need to replace it and/or do the Higgo Mod as well to get an effective action .....
                        Thanks Kim. I am going to take the end cover off later and see what's under there. My bike is a 1970 so maybe it already has the modified arm.

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                          Hi,
                          The trick is to adjust the clutch so that the arm on the gear box is at its outer limit. Then do the usual things like oil and route the cable properly. I have found that using modern levers on the bars helps if you pick ones with a better lever arm effect. I started with the steel replica levers but quickly changed.

Craig
                          Hi johnu, as craig says, adjusting the clutch arm to its outer limit improves leverage, all i have done is taken that farther, to get optimum results, then cut & rewelded, so as to fit inside the gearbox outer cover......but like has been pointed out, its a bit of everything, cable quality & routing etc.

Comment

Hi johnu, as craig says, adjusting the clutch arm to its outer limit improves leverage, all i have done is taken that farther, to get optimum results, then cut & rewelded, so as to fit inside the gearbox outer cover......but like has been pointed out, its a bit of everything, cable quality & routing etc.
                            Understood. I know my routing is good but not sure on the cable quality, it looks to be good (it's new) but not sure if the liner is Teflon or some other material. I do have the arm out as far as it can go without hitting the end plate right now. I'll be doing the cut and shut on my arm if I find it doesn't have the bend already in it when I open the end up.

Comment

johnu, you have to do this with the outer g/box cover off, then wind your arm out untill you have found its best working angle, then cut & trim your clutch arm to fit inside the outer cover......

Comment

johnu, you have to do this with the outer g/box cover off, then wind your arm out untill you have found its best working angle, then cut & trim your clutch arm to fit inside the outer cover......
                                Yes thanks, when I said open the end up I meant take the cover off I will be sure I find the right spot before cutting the arm Seems like an easy fix, but I've heard that before

Comment

Working...
                                X