Griffon gearbox issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon gearbox issues

A few questions for the chaps that know a bit about Griffon boxes. I've no experience of these boxes and I'm learning as I go.

I've taken the box apart some way to free off the kickstart as it jams and won't operate intermittently. When I slide off the casing part way to look at what the problem is, it frees off again and works as it should. When I put it back together it works okay a few times then locks up again! Any ideas on what is happening there and a suggestion on how I fix this issue?

Second question. I don't know the gear selection sequence. Is it one down and three up for the gear selection or the other way around?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to establish where neutral is so that I assemble it with the cam plate in the correct neutral position. Does the cam plate position in he picture below look correct for neutral?

Thanks as always,

David.

kickstart issues

not actually a griffon one but I had the same issue on my 2t and found out it was the return spring binding. At first I thought it was serious internal problems but after a lot of care full looking I found the tang on one end was not bent properly so when depressed it grabbed the casing and would not release until removed, I bent the tang a little and all works well. This was a new spring supplied by Villiers so I assumed they had a batch made and one was not quite right . Hope this helps ,Mike

Comment

Thanks but it isn't that. The lever jams with the return spring connected or disconnected.

David.

Comment

Gear box

Go see or contact the professor of all things gear box, Geoff Nunn .

Regards .

Comment

I've been in touch with Geoff over other issues. I hate to pester him any more. If no member can offer a solution or tell me what is happening I will contact him.

David.

Comment

Resolved!

The kickstart stop plate that holds the kickstart ratchet compressed has to be in an exact position to prevent the lever from jamming.

By a dint of counting the revolutions of the final drive cog in relation to the clutch chainwheel I finally discovered that first gear is at the other end of the camplate. The exact opposite to the setting in my picture. The position I thought was neutral was just a false neutral between 3rd and 4th gears.

I need to go and lie down in a darkened room now! My brain is fried.

Comment

Nice feeling to get it "sorted" though I reckon.
              Well done.
              Colin

Comment

Yes very satisfying Colin - It's on to the next problem to sort out now on this project. I have a swinging arm spindle to make and fit next.

Regards,
                David.

Comment

Working...
                X