1961 ISDT Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 ISDT Machines

Does anyone have any info on Greeves participation in this event?

I am also after pictures of any '61 ISDT bikes.

What model were they based on? MCS, MDS, TDS?

Anyone got any suitable bits to build one?

I have a project in mind to 're-enact' the '61 ISDT as a motorcycling holiday based on Llandindrod Wells. I am attempting to extract a route, as near to the original as possible but sticking to legal rights of way and transposing this onto 50,000:1 OS maps.

I also intend to build a 'Johnny Brittain' 350cc Royal Enfield ISDT Bullet and then compare the two.

Bit of a retirement project really!

1961 ISDT machines

Rob I am no expert on the ISDT bikes but looking in the Greeves book there is a photo of a 61 ISDT bike on page 71 (313WPU) If you then look back to page
    57 there is another pic of 313 WPU in 1 day trials guise, its a Mk1 24TES.
    The frame engine & exhaust look the same but engine plates are different (holes) & paddle hubs fitted on the ISDT pic. Maybe its not the same bike?
    Who has 313 WPU now, its taxed according to DVLA.

Comment

Was that the one Sammy Miller rode? If it is we know where that one is.
      (My Greeves book is packed away right now...)
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Well done Super Sleuth JW!! You are indeed correct! How did I miss that, I looked in the book too! All I need now is a TES Mk 1 frame and swinging arm as I've got most of the rest. I'm also building a Bullet and would like to compare them in Wales back to back. I'm hoping to do the mileage, even if I can't do the exact route.
        Thanks John!

Comment

1961 ISDT - Greeves

Triss & Bryan Sharp both rode Greeves in this event. Triss(115) in the Vase A Team & Bryan(174) in Vase B . Also D H Brooker(171) rode a Greeves in Vase B.
          Sammy Miller rode an Ariel
          Last edited by Pantahal; 03/04/2010, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Rob,
            I've got a 1961 programme which gives details on all the checkpoints. I'll copy it and bring it to the AGM.

Druid

Comment

Hello Chief Druid .

Chris

Comment

Thanks John, that would be great!

Comment

61 isdt

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                  Does anyone have any info on Greeves participation in this event?

I am also after pictures of any '61 ISDT bikes.

What model were they based on? MCS, MDS, TDS?

Anyone got any suitable bits to build one?

I have a project in mind to 're-enact' the '61 ISDT as a motorcycling holiday based on Llandindrod Wells. I am attempting to extract a route, as near to the original as possible but sticking to legal rights of way and transposing this onto 50,000:1 OS maps.

I also intend to build a 'Johnny Brittain' 350cc Royal Enfield ISDT Bullet and then compare the two.

Bit of a retirement project really!
                  Rob,

I have IN118 used by Lloyd Lingelbach in 1961. This frame uses the MDS cradle, while I have IN130 and IN131 they both use the TES cradle.

I hope this helps!

Kenny Sykes
                  USA

Comment

Thanks Kenny! I'm gradually piecing together the details of these bikes. It looks like at least one of these was a TES Mk1 and your bikes bear this out. I'm still working on the route and looking out for a TES frame, etc! John Collard has very kindly lent me a '61 programme to copy. If I make any progress, I'll put it on the forum. Thanks, Rob

Comment

Sammy Miller used a Greeves in the 1960 ISDT although I believe the factory also loaned him bikes for other two day events over the years such as the Welsh etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mickmetcalfe View Post
                        Sammy Miller used a Greeves in the 1960 ISDT
                        In my earlier post I was thinking of that bike. Wrong year.

Of course we know where that one is now...

Colin
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Where is 313 WPU

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                          Rob I am no expert on the ISDT bikes but looking in the Greeves book there is a photo of a 61 ISDT bike on page 71 (313WPU) If you then look back to page
                          57 there is another pic of 313 WPU in 1 day trials guise, its a Mk1 24TES.
                          The frame engine & exhaust look the same but engine plates are different (holes) & paddle hubs fitted on the ISDT pic. Maybe its not the same bike?
                          Who has 313 WPU now, its taxed according to DVLA.
                          313 WPU was Bryan Sharp's 1961 ISDT mount & it was last known some years ago when it was in the ownership of Mike Jackson of Puckeridge, Herts (not the Mike Jackson of Greeves fame) & was sold to someone who was going to fit a BSA B40 motor. A further DVLA check suggests it is currently licenced & indeed has a 350 engine, BUT, ASKMID shows it as unisured so I think this is a 'ghost listing'. Mike was wondering if it was still around. Have you got it?
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/10/2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

313 wpu

I have had the bike checked out on Carweb a HPI check web site, both the frame & engine number are recorded by DVLA as BNO/326. This looks a typo & in fact should read B40/326 which would be a BSA B40 engine AND frame number, BSA used same number on both frame & engine.
                            It had a 350 BSA B40 engine fitted by a previous owner circa 1968 so looks like somehow the BSA frame number has been transposed to the Greeves probably a mistake by a County Council clerk on old buff logbook prior to records going to DVLA who then issued a V5 showing wrong frame number. It will take a bit of persuasion to sort this out with DVLA. I am in contact with current owner & he is going to check the actual number which should be in the series 61/170? as 311 WPU (Bill Brookers bike) is 61/1707
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/09/2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

313 WPU frame number

Have heard from owner & frame number is 61/1705

Comment

Working...
                              X