No announcement yet.

Jetting for RAS Silverstone running Amal GP carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colin - I agree with your sentiments! Last year, a 2 day meeting at Brands was £300 entry. Before that, we went up to Donnington with the Yam (a long way from the south coast). In the first race, we failed to get off the line, next race it seized. Spent half the night changing the engine only for it to seize again and go down the road at Craner Curves! A very expensive weekend going nowhere.

I keep looking at the bikes but can't raise any enthusiasm when I think of the costs and all for a few minutes on the track!

For that reason, I enjoy entering a trial for £20 and riding a bike all day that cost me £50! Good old Villiers!

Comment

I agree Rob. Up until a year ago I was racing 250 MZ's with Bemsee, and the entry fees were £280-£300 per meeting including Friday practice, plus running the van from Cornwall and back was £150-£200, depending on which circuit, Snetterton & Cadwell being the furthest, but not by much. We were using about 25 litres of fuel on track, which at that race fuel cost would be over £100; plus oil at £20 per litre; at 20:1. I used Tesco super-unleaded, as it has the highest octane rating, 99, whereas the others are only 97. It doesn't last, as it contains ethanol, but you just buy what you need, any left can go in the car. It isn't in the bike long enough to do any damage, although the MZ's have steel tanks. Fibreglass tanks are a real problem with ethanol fuels. Otherwise a mix of avgas and ethanol-free super unleaded seems to work well enough, at a fraction of the cost of race fuel.
      Once, at Snetterton, I only finished one of the four races; and there are about 9 meetings a year. As you say, a very expensive hobby!

Comment

NSA sprint

Paul will you be at weston zoyland this weekend? Mike

Comment

I'm away at sea at the moment unfortunately! Would have been great to get it out for one more trial run this year but I work away at sea 6 months of the year so only gives me limited chances to get the bikes out!!

Comment

av gas

bodmin air field av gas 70p a liter ! 110 octain
            Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
            I agree Rob. Up until a year ago I was racing 250 MZ's with Bemsee, and the entry fees were £280-£300 per meeting including Friday practice, plus running the van from Cornwall and back was £150-£200, depending on which circuit, Snetterton & Cadwell being the furthest, but not by much. We were using about 25 litres of fuel on track, which at that race fuel cost would be over £100; plus oil at £20 per litre; at 20:1. I used Tesco super-unleaded, as it has the highest octane rating, 99, whereas the others are only 97. It doesn't last, as it contains ethanol, but you just buy what you need, any left can go in the car. It isn't in the bike long enough to do any damage, although the MZ's have steel tanks. Fibreglass tanks are a real problem with ethanol fuels. Otherwise a mix of avgas and ethanol-free super unleaded seems to work well enough, at a fraction of the cost of race fuel.
            Once, at Snetterton, I only finished one of the four races; and there are about 9 meetings a year. As you say, a very expensive hobby!

Comment

24ras

hi Paul
              i hear you have to be seated on the bike then raise the float till fuel weeps from the spill then back the nut down a number of turns ! seems complicated thought 440 was the main i used to use gold film veloce "R" now gone back to good ole castrol r30

gaz

Comment

24ras 141

Dose anyone have 24ras 141 ? i met the first owner he would like to get it back for old times sake ? anyone help

gary

Comment

Hi Gaz!

Ahh ok thanks for the info.... I set it up whilst I was off the bike but will try again whilst im sat on it and give that a go! I will be back home in just under two weeks so it will be getting the engine out and a good go over!

Cheers again guys!

Comment

Hello All...

Ive had alot more time to fiddle with the Silverstone this time home, In desperation I bought an electronic ignition kit and fitted it and tried more jets etc but still with no luck.... rebuilt the top end and fitted a "decompression" plate of sorts and again this made little to no difference.

Eventually I managed to track down a weaker needle and needle jet for my 5GP2 carb..... wow what a difference. Now the bike starts, doesnt flood out fuel everywhere and pulls like a train. This is only with the weaker needle. There is still a small flat spot which im hoping to iron out using the 107 needle jet rather than the 109 jet thats currently in there. Also main jet i have gone back up to a 430 now.

Out of interest would anybody on here have or know anywhere I can get new/ second hand throttle slides for my T5GP2 carb? Ive tried Hitchcocks, Burlens etc etc any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Paul

Comment

I bought a new slide from racingvincent.co.uk back in 2013. They had to get their supplier to make one with the correct cutaway as the slide they normally supply for Nortons (I believe) has a different cutaway than that specified by Greeves.
                      Stan

Comment

Hi Stan!!

Thanks for the info! I will give them a try! Cheers buddy!

Comment

Working...
                        X