Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > General Greeves chat

Old 10/10/2017, 09:52 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Catt View Post
It just shows how confusing these matters are!!! When I worked at Cricklewood on the side of the A5, we had a bus lane right outside our premises and sure as eggs are eggs, the gents in blue were sent to enforce the letter of the law. They caught the boss driving the length of the premises from a side road to the gate, and also it appeared as if they nicked a lad on a solo. We had a few cracks with the coppers, as we were waiting for one of our trucks and I casually asked if they could nick motorcycles when the tax disc plainly states "BICYCLE", a device allowed in Bus Lanes. One copper said that motorised devices are not allowed (in some places they now are), but I said that the tax disc has no word as to the fact that it is motorised! It's just a BICYCLE, so I plead my case that no difference can be made......
Indeed so Brian. So these increasingly common bicycles with electric motors, or to put it another way, motor bikes, don't share our burden.....its a mad world
Old 11/10/2017, 08:52 AM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wakefield View Post
Have just found that Speedometers were made compulsory on 1 January 1937.
see https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-driving-test
paragraph 4
So the 1984 directive means that from 1/4/84 speedos must be marked in MPH and Kilometers
So bottom line is YES you do need a speedo fitted on a Greeves.
I thought this was the case, thanks for researching.
Old 11/10/2017, 09:28 AM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Welly View Post
Evening gents,

I'm now the proud owner of a 1961 TDS Scottish recently purchased from a fellow club member. My intention is to use it for both trials and green lane-ing so getting it road legal is a priority. I know this issue keeps cropping up, but I'm thoroughly confused about what I need to do. DVLA website is no use at all, so I nipped down to my local MOT test centre for a chat.
I was told an electric horn is required ( apparently small battery operated ones that can be fitted to bicycles are fine) but a bulb horn is no longer acceptable I find this hard to believe when a bulb horn was likely to be fitted originally.
A speedo isn't required - I thought that was an absolute necessity?
Tyres (even if marked 'not for road use' ) are fine as long as the tread block is larger than the gap between the blocks.
I believe that as of April next year, changes in policy mean an MOT won't be needed for the bike, but....

Also, regarding tax exemption, do I need to inform DVLA ? there seems to be no facility to do his on their website.

Finally, if anyone in the Yorkshire / Derbyshire area can recommend good clubs or trials I'd be grateful

Paul

After searching around this is the horn I bought for my Scottish, its waterproof, reasonably compact and loud

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/buddy_b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11/10/2017, 11:13 AM
GRA Member

Or there is this one.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainproof-...oAAOSw8gVX6KcC

Worth a punt at that price!
Old 11/10/2017, 12:07 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCordes View Post
Or there is this one.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainproof-...oAAOSw8gVX6KcC

Worth a punt at that price!
No - I bought this originally, its rubbish! Sounds like a demented midge. Went straight in the bin...
Old 11/10/2017, 02:14 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
No - I bought this originally, its rubbish! Sounds like a demented midge. Went straight in the bin...
Lol..... you do tend to get what you pay for!
Old 12/10/2017, 09:14 PM
GRA Member

Thanks MarkM, not exactly a 'period' looking item, but I'd happily overlook aesthetics for safety.

Paul
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
GRA Member

Default Horn

I bought a bicycle horn from Ebay and it has passed 2 MOTs. However you must have a mono tone sound. My local MOT garage showed me the specification which is quite specific. Such ones are available but it will need a careful search. It cost about 4.00