Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > Machine-specific forums > Racing machines

Old 30/04/2016, 08:06 PM
Basic User

Default Oultons

The 3D model allows you to change gears too! This is a picture of the 'box in neutral.

In the metal, this is what the gearbox test unit looked like.

You will see that the 'box has undergone some quite drastic weight saving with the outer cover completely removed and the cover flanges ground back to blend in smoothly. You can see 'EX' stamped on it so possibly it was a factory experimental unit.

Last edited by Oulton344; 30/04/2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04/05/2016, 07:52 PM
GRA Member

Location: North West. RAS, RCS,RDS & RES Silverstone, RFS Oulton, Super Cub, Burgman 400

Having bought an Oulton on Monday, this has been very useful. Thanks for sharing. Dogsbody
Old 07/05/2016, 08:32 AM
Basic User

I've often wondered what happened to the Spondon bike. It's really nice to see some photos of it as many people have told me about how good it was, especially whenever I've been racing at Darley Moor!
Old 15/05/2016, 01:43 PM
Basic User

Default Oultons

Dogsbody, why don't you post some pictures of your Oulton here? I am sure everyone would like to see them.

Will, I have tried to send you a PM, as there are so many questions that I would like to ask you. Incidentally Brian Woolley claimed 50 BHP for his engine in the Spondon bike.

Barry.
Old 15/05/2016, 08:33 PM
GRA Member

Location: North West. RAS, RCS,RDS & RES Silverstone, RFS Oulton, Super Cub, Burgman 400

Will do when I get back from France. Just on way to Dijon for the Coupes Moto Legende with the Silverstone. Dogsbody
Old 09/09/2017, 07:27 PM
Basic User

This is our Oulton around 1973. The Eagle Eyed will spot the Castrol timing disk hanging on the wall which I think was given away free in 'Motor Cycle Mechanics'. Also you will see this was the time when you could make as much noise as you liked!

The bike you can just see behind it, was the SELVA. (Spondon Engineering Lightweight Five Hundred). This originally had the 500cc Greeves engine fitted but with the 'box converted to 5 speeds. The best that Bob Stevenson ever achieved on it was a 3rd in the 500cc class at Darley Moor as the engine was un-reliable. We had a 500 BSA B50 engine fitted. The SELVA frame however shows the beginning of all the bits a pieces which were to make Spondon a leader in racing frames and parts.

Just notice how the exhaust pipe tucks in behind the frame tubes with the reverse cone megaphone emerging tight to the swinging arm.