No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone
    Recently joined & have been looking through the posts on the site & there are some fascinating threads. I've not got a machine as yet but have been looking since chatting to some really enthusiastic guys on the Greeves stand at Stanford Hall last year, they certainly fired me up. I'm after a twin roadster 61-64 that I can ride around the country lanes in Northamptonshire. Must admit after reading some of the threads on here I can't wait, it amazes me just how much knowledge there is out there.
    Safe riding all
    Alan

Welcome to the club Alan, (were spoke recently on the phone) With regards to purchasing a 61-64 Sports twin, as I mention on the phone, there are some good ones out there as well as old nails. As a member you will get Leading Link & often members bikes are for sale in there. Better to buy from a member if you can. There are from time to time twins on eBay, but beware as many may not be as good as they look & often being sold by back yard dealers. Even ones sold by so called 'Classic' dealers may not be correct (as you already know) & often over priced. If possible you need to buy an 'all correct numbers' (frame, engine & registration). Many have been re registered these days on age related plates & although this does not effect the riding, it does reflect on the value.
    As for models, I would avoid the 25DD Essex as the fibreglass tanks on these are a problem now with ethanol fuel, Best to go for a 25DC or if you want something a bit different the 25DCX Sportsman. The DCX is a rare model though & dont come on the market often as they sort after by collectors. There is a 325cc variant in all twins but these are again rare, particularly the DCX.
    Best of luck
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/02/2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the club Alan, glad you seem to have got the Greeves bug.
      Big Greeves stand at Telford this month so maybe see you there.

No road bikes but you could always stick some lights on a Griffon

Comment

Welcome

Hi Alan

Welcome to the GRA..

I'm sure John Wakefield will be more than happy to assist you in the world of Greeves road bikes..

I hope you find a nice bike soon..

Regards

Scott Chappell

( you might get John to part with his one if you twist his arm! He is getting on a bit now) Sorry JW couldn't resist!

Comment

Hey, hi John of course I remember our phone conversation loads of good advice & you're right it's a matter of waiting i guess one will turn up eventually. Funnily enough I had a chap phone me yesterday, Greeves member who has a 1961 model which has been rebuilt from a box of bits 61/2927 frame number which needs re-registering. Not sure about the engine number but having looked on the dvla web site it looks a bit of a performance & if I'm honest not keen especially as it's in Penzance! Anyway not to worry & no doubt I'll be back in the future to pester you some more. Thanks for your post

Comment

A Griffon with lights on? Hadn't thought of that NOW that sounds a really good idea, you know how to stick some lights on one?

Scott thanks for your message & yep John certainly seems to be the oracle of the club, sounds a good bloke to me he certainly knows his Greeves history

Comment

Hi Alan, I too am a new member and in less than 2 weeks, I've found answers to numerous questions I had about my Griffon, had advice on how to get the bike in one piece again, and found and bought parts from members that I thought would be nigh on impossible to find. The chaps on the forum have been so efficient and helpful that it leaves me wondering....what am I going to do with myself next week.

Comment

Putting lights on a Griff is easy, lighting the wick might not be so! I can usually start 250s, but the bigger ones are now beyond me!

Comment

Alan There is a 1961 32DC Sports twin for sale by a member in LL this month for £3000. Its had an engine rebuild by Simon Bateman (Nametab Eng) including re-sleeved barrels new pistons & rebuilt crank. Also includes spare 3T engine for spares, spare petrol tank & badges. Sounds like a bargain.
                  There was an article on this bike in LL61 (Dec 1994) if anyone still has a copy
                  20 AHJ : MY 1961 32 DC - JOHN ROGERS 61 1994 DEC 6
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/02/2017, 11:43 AM. Reason: LL link added

Comment

In my (not-so-humble) opinion the 32DC is the one to have!
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Talking of 32DC's I wonder what happened to this 32DC that was sold by Bonhams at Stafford way back in October 2004 for £506
                      Bonhams Fine Art Auctioneers & Valuers: auctioneers of art, pictures, collectables and motor cars

Reg 819 KUP is not on DVLA despite the fact it was reported to have had a V5. (number is not on another vehicle either)
                      Looked a good project at that price although it did require new front fork bushes, as suspension had collapsed. Frame No was 61/3541

Comment

Morning John
                        I rang about the 32DC about 5 mins after LL had dropped through the front door but it had already been sold! They're obviously very sought after & I know they didn't produce many of that particular model. But onwards & upwards

Comment

Soggy welly, what a great alias. You need something to do next week?? Mmm let me see........ Got it how about finding me a Greeves ???

Comment

Well done chaps, it's great to see the forum used for the purpose we built it for - getting max enjoyment from Greeves!

Plenty of advice on here as to what to do and what not to!

Glad you are finding the forum useful and I hope you find the bike you want, I'm sure you will shortly!

Glad you enjoyed Founder's Day Alan, a long way from the south coast for me but well worth it. Don't forget, the rabble will be at Telford with the Club stand if you happen to be visiting.

Best of luck with finding that bike, welcome to the Club and forum!

Rob
                            Chairman, Gen Secretary, Forum & Website slave, Engineering Drawings, dogs walked, washing-up done and tea made (to Govt spec)!

Comment

Working...
                            X