Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Events, meetings and shows

Old 14/06/2017, 10:10 AM
GRA Member

Angry

Yes a great weekend, good job the weather did hold out as rain would have brought a disaster, as you comment it suited you ok, I had a an off day on Sunday and had to retire after lap 1, but looking at the overall results for route B it was very high for threequarters of the entry,!n the top trick bikes results these were low for about 6 riders were very low if marks at all in some cases ? are we catering for new and fantastically altered and prepared machines or what!! Saturday was ok and took marks off nearly all the entry , so why was it necessary to alter and add new harder routes for Sunday ? good average riders loosing 60 marks and more, plus other clubmen higher , and a comment i was given by an ex works rider referring to the easy route was if they find this difficult they should not be riding in Trials is an appalling statement, we want are Greeves riders in the GRA to have a good safe time out there, and let these persistent aces stick to the hardest routes and events
Old 15/06/2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick F View Post
A comment I was given by an ex works rider referring to the easy route was if they find this difficult they should not be riding in Trials is an appalling statement, we want are Greeves riders in the GRA to have a good safe time out there, and let these persistent aces stick to the hardest routes and events
Couldn't agree with you more about that sort of attitude. Classic trialling should be aimed at providing a good day out for the less talented (and older?) rider. If arrogant blighters want a challenge they should do modern trials.

The design of the GRA trials back in the 90's was as it should be in my view. I still remember with pleasure a chap coming up to me after one of Ray Timberlake and my Watlington trials with a big smile on his face: "At last - a trial I can do!"

We can't all be Sammy Miller...
Old 15/06/2017, 07:28 PM
GRA Member

Default Sorry I missed it

Indeed the weather was glorious..

I agree that some events are to tough for our machines.. That's why people build these 5k plus machines to compete..

I think that's why so few a Greeves are seen at pre65 events these days.. The ironic thing is as we all know, Greeves were the most popular machine back in the day....

You will never please everybody I'm afraid and muti route layouts are a nightmare for me..

I remember riding in the greeves vs cotton days in the Cotswolds.. These were laid out in the vintage club frame of mind.. Great days..

Scott
Old 15/06/2017, 07:49 PM
GRA Member

Sadly its the pot hunters who are ruining things, back in the 1970's when I was doing trials (modern bikes, open to centre events) I well remember one particular club member who we could rarely get to ride in the team for centre events. He chose to ride in closed to club events where there was little competition against novices and old men. He won loads of trophies but few of them were worth anything, but he enjoyed going to all the various clubs annual dinners to collect his trophies.
Old 16/06/2017, 07:17 AM
GRA Member

Maybe just a Greeves event , there might be a few more riders who would take their bikes and also have a good time discussing all things Greeves.