Found in a container.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found in a container.

Bob Paradis found this in Washington, but didn't buy it! No chassis number, but we have the reg. plate.
    Attached Files

Found in a container part 2

More pics follow: Can this be researched by the reg plate?
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow - what great pics, a rare bike indeed. Looking on the net it appears there were very few of these bikes built. One sold at Bonhams some years ago

Bonhams Fine Art Auctioneers & Valuers: auctioneers of art, pictures, collectables and motor cars

Comment

Fwc654

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        More pics follow: Can this be researched by the reg plate?
        Frame No is 24IN125, its an Essex plate so records will be at Essex Records Office, Chelmsford. They will do a search on line for £2.50 it takes about 2 weeks. It will give date of 1st registration & who registered to. email ERO.Searchroom@essex.gov.uk
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Probably a blind alley job as it's likely to have been registered by Invacar in readiness for someone to ride in the ISDT. I will search the photos from Bert to see if it appears anywhere.

Comment

Fwc654

It was only taxed for a year in UK. Registered in August 1962 & tax disc still on bike shows expiry date of Aug 1963. Probably not even in UK a year. As you say bought to be ridden in ISDT & then taken to Alaska. There is a previous thread on this Brian http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ghlight=FWC654

Comment

Yes, I thought it was a familiar story! I'll do a trawl through all the photos to see if I can spot the plate. Unfortunately no paint markings are seen anywhere on the latest pics.
              Some of our fraternity are trying to aid a gent who has one of the 1973 Triumph ISDT bikes. Scrutineering stickers are seen and readable, BUT that is somewhat misleading as the stickers were applied in order of appearance rather than rider's number. The bike in question was given stickers no 189, but that rider was an American on a Penton.....so blind alley!

Comment

The 1962 ISDT was at Garmish in West Germany in September, so it would have been ridden in that event IF it was in fact entered in the event. Maybe used by a spectator or a support rider for another entrant. There was a R G Gocher on a 246 Greeves in the results, he retired.
                Of course it may not have had any competition use, & possibly bought by the guy to use in Alaska, it would have been ideal transport to get about, particularly in the winter months. The speedo shows 8541 miles which is a fair distance to cover in 12 months (or less) so it must have done a few miles after it got to Alaska
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2017, 08:45 PM. Reason: 24IN125

Comment

I mislead myself and was looking at the wrong pics! On examining the 62 ones from Bert's collection, the works bikes have curly exhausts and the customer ones seem to have the fabricated ones. The photos show many of the works bikes and a few of the Swiss ridden ones, but there are none of a certain George Steck Jr. of the good ol' USA.....My money is on it being his bike that was exported across the pond.

Comment

Working...
                  X