Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > General Greeves chat

Old 12/01/2018, 04:19 PM
GRA Member

Default Independent battery lighting for Scottish

My Scottish has a 'daylight' style MOT. No lights fitted. Ive often wondered if i could fit some kind of battery lighting pack, similar to what you might get on a bicycle. Some modern cycle lamps throw out heaps of light, and indeed more than direct lighting might provide. I realise there is the option of wiring up lighting through the engine but having something I could just clip on and off sounds attractive. Does anyone know the legality of lights in this respect and if they must be lit by a generator on the motorcycle.
Old 12/01/2018, 06:03 PM
GRA Member

As I understand the situation now is that you get a normal MOT with an advisory saying that the bike should not be used in the hours of darkness unless it is equipped with lighting. How the situation would change with "clip-on lights, I have no idea, but I suspect that there would be no bar on using such a system. Maybe we have an MOT Tester who can give advice.
Old 12/01/2018, 06:16 PM
GRA Member

I guess you would need a dip facility for the headlight, which from what I have observed, cycle lights do not have, as cyclists appear to think that they are exempt from the requirement not to dazzle people .

You would also need a brake light. I have never seen a pushbike displaying one. Thus I don't think a bicycle system would be appropriate.
Old 12/01/2018, 08:12 PM
GRA Member

It would not go through an MoT with boby dodger lights but if you did fit them to get home after dark I dont suppose anyone would notice, there are no bobbies walking the streets anymore. In any case most of our bikes will be MoT exempt from May so it wont be an issue anymore.
Old 12/01/2018, 08:37 PM
GRA Member

Actually, be careful there! I think you will find that once lights are fitted, everything must comply with the regs; headlight with dip facility, tail light, stop light etc. The fact that they won't be MoT'd anymore doesn't mean they no longer have to comply with the law. You may get away with it, but without full compliance, it ain't legal, which will be found out if, for example, someone pulls out in front of you.... just sayin'
Old 12/01/2018, 08:49 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCordes View Post
Actually, be careful there! I think you will find that once lights are fitted, everything must comply with the regs; headlight with dip facility, tail light, stop light etc. The fact that they won't be MoT'd anymore doesn't mean they no longer have to comply with the law. You may get away with it, but without full compliance, it ain't legal, which will be found out if, for example, someone pulls out in front of you.... just sayin'
Sound advice - thanks, yes i can see legal problems if things go wrong.