Another Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Scam

I daresay most of us use Paypal from time to time - and jolly handy it can be, especially for overseas payments.

I've noticed getting an email now and again apparently from Paypal which talks about some payment you've made recently. You don't remember it so you think your account may have been hacked.

It starts off like this, for example:

"You sent a payment of $56.00 USD to JLM Expansion (help@jlmexp.com)
    It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

If you don't make this transaction you can cancel the payment immediately"

This is followed by a blue-highlighted click button saying "Cancel Now"

If you come out of email and log in to your email account you see no reference to such a payment and all is in order.

Now I'm not so stupid as to panic and click on the button. Obviously it will take you somewhere you don't want to go, or it will then invite you to login to your Paypal account via a false login screen, thus giving away your username and password.

With suspicious emails I hit the "reply" button so I can check the source and that usually gives the game away. (Obviously I don't press "send"!)

But in this case the source address is "service@paypaI.com". Looks kosher, doesn't it?

Now, do you see what they've done? The "l" in paypal is actually a capital "I"! Easy way to check once you spot it.

Yet another scam to watch out for, my friends!
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 13/02/2018, 11:56 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

Hi Colin,
    I press send, once I have put NSW Police email address.
    We had a speeding fine, NSW police, come in Via email, at work once. Pay in 7 days, or your license will be suspended. Rang NSW police. No such fine. Was asked by officer to forward all possible scams to them, to deal with.

whitehillbilly

Comment

I've had three of these now, Colin, each of a slightly different format but all bearing a very convincing stolen Paypal banner/logo. Giveaway has been the way in which they address you, by your email address never by the name you have registered with Paypal. Luckily, I am (usually) very "careful" with my money, otherwise I may have given out bank details for the cancellation, as requested in one of the scam emails. Be warned all!

Comment

I opened a PayPal acc and didn't fund it, expecting incoming payments only. Within a few weeks, I was getting false messages claiming I had bought stuff and would I please confirm with my details etc. I happen to have a pal who has recently retired from the Fraud Squad and he says that hundreds of people have been caught by these messages over the past few years, and to wait for some time until I am no longer a target, but to send the mails to spoof at Paypal.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
          Hi Colin,
          I press send, once I have put NSW Police email address.
          We had a speeding fine, NSW police, come in Via email, at work once. Pay in 7 days, or your license will be suspended. Rang NSW police. No such fine. Was asked by officer to forward all possible scams to them, to deal with.

whitehillbilly
          I don't suppose our invisible UK police would give a monkey's...
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 13/02/2018, 11:54 AM.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            I opened a PayPal acc and didn't fund it, expecting incoming payments only. Within a few weeks, I was getting false messages claiming I had bought stuff and would I please confirm with my details etc. I happen to have a pal who has recently retired from the Fraud Squad and he says that hundreds of people have been caught by these messages over the past few years, and to wait for some time until I am no longer a target, but to send the mails to spoof at Paypal.co.uk
            Is the proper address spoof@Paypal.co.uk?
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Pay Pal

I to get e-mails about my pay pal account, dead give away as I don't have one.

Comment

Colin,
                confirmed!
                Regards,
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  I don't suppose our invisible UK police would give a monkey's...
                  Here we go again, let’s have a go at the Police. I really wish you people knew what the Police have to do, day in, day out.

Comment

To be fair, I doubt that our Police can do anything about these scams, which seem to emanate from remote foreign parts. I know from previous experience in Trading Standards ..........

Comment

Our Motor Club Chairman is ex-Met Police Fraud Squad (Available for Lectures etc.) and they did their best to chase and shut down UK based scams and dodgy websites IF they were UK based. They also passed on information to overseas authorities, with a mixture of results. Some were red hot, but many were completely out of their depth! Hence the lectures to a Chinese delegation!

Comment

Originally posted by sherpatensing View Post
                        Here we go again, let’s have a go at the Police. I really wish you people knew what the Police have to do, day in, day out.
                        I didn't mean it's their fault, more successive governments cutting their budgets year on year. But when it leads to not investigating burglaries and ignoring thefts from shops, for example, it's gone too far.

In my view; other views are available...
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Australia has a task force just dealing with Scams.

Comment

Working...
                          X