Griffon Enduro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony

Pretty certain you could use a Triumph speedo drive on the Griffon hub.

Comment

This Steve's drive, which looks different, though not sure what it is,

Comment

Smiths Speedometer

Burton bike bits have a Smiths 5/8 spindle 2:1 speedometer drive which should be okay?
        They also sell the locking nut to fit the drive which could be shortened to give the correct spacing if required. This might be the best option.

Comment

Looks the best bet Tony particularly if its a genuine Smiths new old stock (NOS) item. You will almost certainly have to have hub machined for it to fit, or an adapter made.

Comment

Apparently the BSA spacer fits into the drive as both Triumph and BSA used this drive.
            It will probably have to be altered to fit the hub or distance, however for £11.00 worth trying. (from Burton Bike Bits)

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
              Apparently the BSA spacer fits into the drive as both Triumph and BSA used this drive.
              It will probably have to be altered to fit the hub or distance, however for £11.00 worth trying. (from Burton Bike Bits)
              £11? presumably that just the spacer the gearbox is £39.90
              BG5330/257 SPEEDO DRIVE GEARBOX (BG5330/ Standard Selling Price £39.50

Comment

Cleaned up

The wheels are off ready to put new tyres on as the old ones are cracked. The frame has been cleaned up and sprayed with Hammerite hammered,
                the closest to the original.
                Roger Ennis is making some moulds of the side panels as they are a bit fragile. The tank is being lined by Roger to make it ethanol proof .
                He is also making a mould of the tank so I can get a new one that is made with ethanol proof resin.

Comment

Hammered

I decided to use a brush and mix a little black Hammerite with the silver to darken it a little. The affect is much better with the liquid compared to the spray very much like the original.
                  Bit of a knack not brushing it out too much and loosing the hammered affect or leaving too much on that it runs.

Comment

Rear roller bearing

Does anyone know who stock NF302 roller bearing for the rear sprocket side?

I found one supplier (not my usual) and it seems horrendously expensive compared to the sealed ball type.

Comment

Enduro Speedometer Housing Tube

Thanks to Rob for finding the Enduro Speedometer Housing tube drawing (G02690).
                      I have now just got to get a disc welded on the bottom to complete it.
                      It is spot welded similar to the toolbox, apart from the joggle sits proud on the outside.
                      Just as well I still have Dave's spot welder

Comment

Nice one Tony, i have found that as with most small manufactering companies, they tend to use the same tooling for many different applications, which makes perfect economic sense.
                        Its only when you start copying the drawings, that you find out why they made it that way & why sometimes, things seem a bit odd ball in their design.

Comment

Roller bearing

The cheapest NF302 roller bearing for the sprocket size I have found is £50+VAT. The normal bearing is £6.91 (Timken). Now if this was going to be raced then I think the stresses would warrant spending the extra. However it will not see that kind of action so I was going to use the standard bearing. Kenny emailed me and said the 6302 RS holds up fine in their race bikes. Maybe they don't go as quick as the Brit boys.

The seized bearing is not an NF302, it is a 315RSS - Hoffmann Imperial Deep Groove - 15x42x13mm - maybe why it is seized

The Hoffman bearing is £18.72 which is not far from 3 times the cost of the Timken, so what is the difference? Quality?

Comment

Tony, some ball races have closer running tolerences than others, usually denoted with a symbol after the bearing number, like a c, but not rs, that means rubber seal.
                            I have said this on here before, but a ball race is ok to use, but you may have to change it more often, being that yours is only a 250, then i can`t see a problem.

Comment

Thanks Dave, So is it worth paying the extra for the Hoffman bearing, or just use the Timken 6302 RS all round?

Comment

Tony, for what you are going to put it through, the timken bearings will be fine.
                                The roller bearings were used to withstand the extreme load put on the rear hub, by top mx riders.
                                Unless you intend doing full throttle racing starts off the traffic lights on the streets of exeter, i would stay with timken & change them more often.

Comment

Working...
                                X