Alpha engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha engine

I've had a quick look through the posts in this section, but can't find any posts about Alpha engines. My MCS is currently fitted with an Alpha engine, circa 1963, which consists of Alpha's own crankcase, crankshaft and Stefa Magneto. It has a ported Square barrel, Villiers primary cases and gearbox. The unit was supposed to be much stronger than a Villiers and the small ignition rotor allowed higher revs and fewer crank failures. Does anyone else have one of these? I've never seen another one.

Alpha engine

Hi sherpa, i am currently building a 58 Hawkstone which i bought at auction a couple of years ago. As it has been used for purley racing in the sixties, a previous owner had done quite a few mods, one of which is that it has Alpha crankcases and full circle Alpha crank, what i think it a DOT square barrell and head. The MX6 Challenger that i just rode at Red Marley Has a Griffon engine which is remarkably like the Alpha with the mains running directly on the crank. I had the cases machined to take deep groove ball races so making the crank/mains setup much the same as a modern two stroke, what i did not realise this would alter the crankcase volume of fuel/air mixture which is compressed by the piston and then transfered via the ports to the cylinder. Only very slightly but enough to make re jetting from std an absolute must. I only had time to put a gallon of juice through it befor Marley and where it seemed to run ok on a mates hard standing field at home it struggled (along with the owner) in the mud and a bloody big hill at Marley. I have now upped the needle jet from 106 t0 108 pilot from 25 to 40 and am on a 320 main, std is 300/310, now all i have to do is put another 8 teeth on the back sprocket and i will be ready for next year. I figure i will have to up jet the Hawkstone the same as its crank is just as knackered as the Griff was so it will get the same treatment. Regards, Stace.

Comment

Hi.

Dot fitted this type of motor to the later demon models, it was known by most as the Alfa/Steffa Dot. Your engine may have come from one of these..

I'm sure greeves used a lot of these ideas on the challengers..

It should go well with this set up, my MCS has an upton crank and motoplat ignition etc etc, that goes well for what it is... Mine has an iron barrel so I can enter the pre60 class aswel

Good luck with your project

Scott

Comment

Thanks for your replies gents. I'm surprised that no one else has provided any comments, perhaps the Alpha engine is rarer than I thought.

Comment

Set on eBay at moment.

Dogsbody

Comment

Money

Crikey its at £175 already, i did not realise they were worth that sort of money, the chances of the crank being useable is slim to say the least so it is going to have to b done. I obviously did not realise what i had and am now looking forward all the more to getting the Hawkstone finished.

Comment

£475......!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sherpatensing View Post
                I've had a quick look through the posts in this section, but can't find any posts about Alpha engines. My MCS is currently fitted with an Alpha engine, circa 1963, which consists of Alpha's own crankcase, crankshaft and Stefa Magneto. It has a ported Square barrel, Villiers primary cases and gearbox. The unit was supposed to be much stronger than a Villiers and the small ignition rotor allowed higher revs and fewer crank failures. Does anyone else have one of these? I've never seen another one.

I do own one that is fitted in my 24MCS/2 (MDS). Nice piece of work they are.

Kenny Sykes
                USA

Comment

Working...
                X