Moorland blue-additional info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorland blue-additional info.

I have just had a small test piece back from Suffolk Stove Enamelers who use the correct Moorland Blue . Interestingly the look varies considerably depending on the amount of light that hits it.
    If you look at the two pictures they are the same part, one in bright sunshine and the other in the shade.

It looks like the darker one, the camera/ computer is probably not giving a true representation of the colour.

"Correct Moorland Blue" I thought the colour varied somewhat during the years, so no actual spec is any more correct than another. Certainly most bikes I remember were more like your dark shot, but no doubt someone will have a better memory of these things. Some bikes are painted now in a very bright colour, which I can't remember on the production models I saw. I think it depend on how much you want to balance originality with a bright, attractive bike, as I always thought the roadsters with the all-over paint looked a bit dowdy.

Comment

Suffolk Stove Enamellers can be relied upon to give a good representation of Moorland Blue. Proprietor Chris Ginn comes with original Greeves credentials, after all!

Comment

R.S. Paint

Just took my lap top to the garage and the darker pic looks the same as my tool box ( see my reply to pgc 40 under parts)
        Regards John

Comment

RAL or BS

Is there a RAL or BS number for Moorland Blue?

Comment

Not that I know of Phil. My understanding is that it was something that the factory created and the colours varied a little from one batch to another. Perhaps others know different!
            While on that topic, did you know that the human eye can detect between 8 and 10 million different shades of colour. What chance to you stand of getting an exact match and under what light conditions etc? It's not so much of a problem with my Hawkstone because it usually has a generous layer of mud masking it.

Comment

Moorland Blue was indeed made up for Greeves , as with all paints the shade varied from batch to batch , as it does now with emulsion paints etc.

Get two tins of paint with different batch numbers on and the colour is totally different .

I have seen a batch of ten bikes at the factory painted from different batches of paint , half a lot lighter blue than the rest .

As there is or never was no RAL colour the Moorland Blue seen now is an approximate shade of all blues taken into all the paint suppliers .

I used to make my own using trfalgar Blue & black .

Chris

Comment

Moorland Blue Paint

There is a sticky thread on this subject http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...=Moorland+Blue
                might be worth taking a look on there.

Comment

Working...
                X