Fitting a 4T into a 24DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a 4T into a 24DC

We've had an enquiry on the website asking if a 4T engine will fit into a 24DC Sports Single frame.

Obviously there is room for it, but does anyone know if the mounting holes and final drive chain will line up, or will he need new engine plates?

Any information will be passed on.

Colin
    Colin Sparrow

4T engine into 24DC Frame

Should fit but he will need new engine plates to suit 4T (or 2T) engine. Also if the lighting switch is in the toolbox (as I am sure it will be) he will need to move it to make way for the 4T 'tobacco box' air filter, or fit a different filter. Wiring will also have to be modified as singles dont have the 5 pin plug & socket & only have one ignition coil. 4T frame has a welded on bracket for two coils. Chain should line up but rear wheel may need different spacers. Rear spocket will need to be 48T.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 04/05/2010, 09:46 PM. Reason: Revised info from JW via phone call.

Comment

'tobacco box'

as a side issue are these available?

Comment

Try Villiers Services Merlin. I think they have just had a batch made up.

Comment

air filter

Thank you for that will ring them tomorrow.
          Regards
          Merlin.

Comment

I think this is what they have produced Merlin. Hope I've got it right and it's the part you're after (and that they've got 'em in stock.) Fingers crossed!

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

air filter

That's the very one.Have e-mailed them tonight but of course they are closed on Wednesday.
              Thanks.

Comment

Excellent!

Hope Steve's got one for you Merlin!

Brian.

Comment

OK guys, let's get this thread back on topic:

Does anyone know if a 4T will drop straight into a 24DC - i.e.

1. Are the mounting bolt holes for the Villiers singles and the twin the same?

2. If they do, would the chain line up?
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

As I said in my previous post with a change of engine plates the 4T should go in, basically the DC frames are all the same. Chain line up should not be a problem with correct spacers. A check on drawings may help. (Available from Rob)
                    A further indication that 'singles' will fit 'twin' frames & vice versa is the fact that a batch of 4T engined (DF) police bikes were converted from 4T twins to 37A series singles. I think the main factor other than the engine plates is the engine plate spacers. There is a Greeves drawing for these showing the correct spacers for each model. Again Rob can supply from the GRA archive.
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/05/2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

But a 4T wouldn't drop straight into the 32A engine plates? 'Cos that's what the enquirer is asking...
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

We've had an enquiry on the website asking if a 4T engine will fit into a 24DC Sports Single frame.
                        Not what you stated on here Colin

Comment

John,

I assume what Colin meant was, because the 24DC was originally fitted (I think!) with a 32A engine then would those plates work with a 4T?

As I'm fast depleteing my knowledge of Greeves Roadsters (miniscule at best!) I'd best duck out at this point!

Brian.

Comment

There is no way a Villiers 2, 3 or 4T twin will fit into the engine plates of the 3?A series singles. The mountings are entirely different & the crankcase on the single is much smaller. But the good thing about Greeves is that there is plenty of room & with the correct plates its easy to fit other engines (including of course Triumph)

Comment

Thanks John,

I told the enquirer right away that there was room for a 4T in the 24DC frame. Not having one of each to look at I was just trying to find out if the two engines' mounting s were the same.

Clearly they're not, I'll tell him so.

End of thread?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X