D for roadsters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D for roadsters ?

I understand T=trials,M=motocross,R=roadracers, I cannot work out D=roadsters, Any logic suggestions please.

Logic? Greeves? Come on!
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

As in "I'm ridin' de-bike"

Comment

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
        I understand T=trials,M=motocross,R=roadracers, I cannot work out D=roadsters, Any logic suggestions please.
        They also used R suffix for Roadsters for a short time 1955-7

Comment

.......and S for scramblers, or course. I can understand the R for roadsters, as they were the all tube-framed budget models, to differentiate from the beam-framed D series, but it doesn't explain the D, as originally asked.

Maybe it was the 4th variant that was brought out; trials - T, scrambler - S, tube-frame roadster - R, so what to designate the 4th model? It had to be a letter, in keeping with the rest of the range, a descriptive letter didn't show itself, so maybe the 4th letter in the alphabet?

Clutching at straws here, but you never know!

Comment

....or how about D for De-luxe, as the R was the basic roadster?

Comment

Correction to the above; the R range starting out as a basic 3-speed model, but with beam frame for the first year, going to a tubular frame for '55.

The 20D is described as De-luxe, though. That's where my money would be!

Comment

D for Daily - as in daily use, best I can come up with

Comment

D for roadsters ?

I'll settle for Deluxe, which means all my bikes are from the Deluxe range,I fell so much better now. Thanks for all suggestions. Les.

Comment

Working...
                  X