A Greeves/Triumph, 24MDS/3TA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Greeves/Triumph, 24MDS/3TA.

I bought this bike last year as a bit of a blinged up lash-up, but it had potential so I splashed the cash.

A recent service and tidy up by Graham and Colin at Loch Ness Restorations (Facebook /07748 287618) and the snaky exhaust and neat oil tank, to replace a tiger cub item, by welder Richi Foss, (also Loch Ness, 07761 286112) and the bike is ready for the hill roads and byways when spring comes around.
    Attached Files

That looks just the job for the highways and byways around Kinlochleven. Are you going to fit lights to it?

I rode around your area quite a bit last year, on the Moidart Run and following the Scottish Classic 2-Day, on my Norton 650, and my Matchless 350 trials. There was a chap called Greg who lives in the village, who rides a 1967'ish 650 Triumph, with American bars, in, let's say, very spirited fashion! We had a couple of good road rides in each other's company; great roads, great scenery! I may come up again this year.

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

Yes, Greg made a very nice job of his bike, especially as, I believe, much of it was assembled on the Johnny Cash principle of "one piece at a time".

I did think about putting an Electrex world digital lighting/ignition kit on mine but it's only for pottering about round the Loch and out the hill tracks to fish in the hill lochs, so the Rex Caunt ignition only system is fine for that. I have an old Triumph Daytona if I want to go further afield.

Worryingly, rumour has it that an old man riding his old motorbike out the hill roads for a days fishing is now risking getting a criminal record for contravening the access laws . Ironic really, not so long ago hundreds of thousands of pounds were spent restoring and draining the network of hill paths round the village, only to see them almost immediately being torn up again by the organised and legal motorcycle events! . Some paths are now so badly eroded again even they don't use them any more.

For the record, I find the whole issue difficult, having been involved in motor cycle sport as competitor and organiser since 1962, and in estate management since 1967 .

Comment

When I was there last year it was made very clear to us that only authorised bikes and riders; competitors and observers etc; could go on the tracks. It is no longer possible to follow the trial on two wheels apart from on the tarmac. It seemed a shame to have to park up in the village and walk up to the pipeline, for example, but worth the hike, nonetheless. I can understand a conservationist point of view. We are fortunate the trials are still allowed......

Comment

Hello again Ian,

As mentioned, I have a big foot in each camp, the situation we are in now is pretty byzantine.

Call in for a coffee or a dram if you're up this way, I'm not hard to find!.

Comment

OK buddy, I will take you up on that! I will at least need to know your name, though!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X