Classic Dirt Bike Show 2017, Telford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Dirt Bike Show 2017, Telford

Planning has started for the GRA stand at the next Telford Show which is over the weekend 18th-19th February. For 2017 we have been specifically asked to show exclusively scramblers - so no trials bikes or racers, sorry.

In fact we have been asked to show an example of every Greeves scrambler model - which works out at more than twenty bikes. They have actually asked for a machine to represent each year. Some line-up, some stand, eh?

Dave Bradley has been working on this and he tells me it is coming together well, but there are gaps, so the purpose of this thread is to ask if anyone can help fill in those gaps. Please post on here if you've got one of the following and be interested in helping.

We need:

1956 20S Scrambles

1958 20SA or 20SAS Hawkstone (9E) or 25SA Hawkstone Twin (2T)

1959 24 SAS Hawkstone Special (31A)

1962 24MCS Motocross Special

1965 24MX2 Challenger

1969 250 Griffon

1972 QUB (Glass-fibre tank in "Golden Glow")

1976 QUB MkII

We could also do with a 36MX4 and a 24MX6, and might need a 380 QUB (alloy tank). Also some volunteers as backup for other models in case someone drops out.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 18/11/2016, 03:07 PM.
    Colin Sparrow

Colin Rob has allready started a list i think as well double check with him as well please

Comment

1965 24MX2 Challenger

1969 250 Griffon

1972 QUB

1976 QUB MkII

a 380 QUB (alloy tank). Also some volunteers as backup for other models in case someone drops out.[/QUOTE]

Hi Colin I have all the above but they are in full used/raced condition except the MkII which is in bits but should be built in time for the show.
      Certainly not show condition but might do as back up to cover drop outs.
      Craig

Comment

Real racing bikes not show Queens

We should be showing real race bikes not just show queens - so any of Craigs bikes would be perfect for a display
        I bet you haven't got an MDS Iron Barrel 1962 - which was a model sold as a clubman racer for those who couldn't afford or need the performance of the alloy barrel......
        I can provide a 1969 250 Griffon Blue Metal flake tank (just need to put some bits back)
        Cheers Kim

Comment

Colin, presumably you mean the 1961 24MCS? I believe it became the 24MDS in 1962, except for export models? Or is it an export model that you need?

Comment

Thanks so much chaps, you're being a great help. Craig, could you pm me contact details please. (I know yours Kim ).

We would be more than happy to have bikes currently used in competition - I think we're hoping for a mix between show bikes and comp bikes.

Craig, we could use all your bikes, but that will give you transportation and logistics problems. Please may we bag the MkII right away and come back to you on the rest?

Kim - Could we bag the 250 Griffon please - I take it you'll be at the show anyway? 24MD? - yes, Brad had overlooked that one - and also the 24ME Starmaker - so if anyone has either of those we'll fit them in.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
              Colin, presumably you mean the 1961 24MCS? I believe it became the 24MDS in 1962, except for export models? Or is it an export model that you need?
              Yes, John you're quite right. It doesn't matter, we definitely need a 24MCS!!
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                Colin Rob has allready started a list i think as well double check with him as well please
                It's Brad's list. I believe he and Rob are liaising. I'm just the messenger (or I thought I was...)
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Yes, Brad is the lead on Telford. All I did was pass on the request for machines after I had spoken to Alan Wright at Stoneleigh.

I have been in touch with Brad a couple of times to tie up details but Brad is the Main Man! I've got enough to do with all the rest of it!

Yes Colin, you are the messenger, we should refer to you as 'Mercury' although he was a winged messenger!

PS - Don't forget Kempton Park Off-Road Show on Saturday, 3rd December!

PS again - Mike Norris has a 36MX4 and as far as I know, is bringing it to Telford.

Comment

One further point. Dave Harper may be able to attend if his health permits. He may then be able to bring the 500 and the factory prototype QUB that he is bringing to Kempton.

Also, at Kempton, we hope to make much more of the Greeves Scramble series as part of the greater tie-in with the GRA (following our partial sponsorship at Kendal).

Based on what we learn trying to do that, we could possibly expand on it at Telford which would be good timing with the new season on the way. Therefore, any duplicate machines could be added to this display. There's no reason machines that are ridden cannot be displayed as not everyone is keen on chromosexual bikes!

A well-used bike suitably cleaned up forms a great exhibit to my mind.

Kim - you had better start shifting that mud now!

It all depends on how much space Mr Wright let's us have but he was very keen on having a lot of greeves when we spoke to him at Stoneleigh.

The important thing is for everyone to keep in touch with Brad in the centre. That way we should end up with a great display.

Using the forum is a useful way of doing this - thanks Mercury, err, Colin!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                      Yes Colin, you are the messenger, we should refer to you as 'Mercury' although he was a winged messenger!
                      Sparrows do have wings!!
                      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 22/11/2016, 08:19 AM.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I'm working with Brad on this project. As you know, he can't drive at the moment.

We've worked out that if you brought one example of every Greeves scrambles model plus relevant prototypes and US-only models you would need space for thirty-three bikes. It looks like we could nearly do it but we'll be taking over the show!

The logistics look a bit frightening

I do wonder if Wrighty and Mortons really understand what they're actually asking for. Anyway, Brad is going to clarify with them before we go much further.

Can't promise Kempton, sorry.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Would that be an European or African sparrow? Very similar to Monty Python and the swallow! Still, wings are wings, hope yours are not on your heels!

It will be interesting to see what Wrighty has to say. Remember that other year, he had one trials bike of every year he had ben riding? It was over in the corner by the toilet. Could end up we have 2 displays (or 3 if we include the Greeves series).

Let's take the place by storm like we do Popham!

Comment

Chatting to Brad yesterday, he tells me that he has had a good discussion with Alan Wright about the "mega" Greeves scrambler display for Telford. It really is a serious proposition. Should be fantastic. 20+ bikes.

Brad has also had a talk with Dave Harper and we're hopeful that the Pre '65 MotoCross Club will join us on the stand with their own promotional display. Of course a number of the bikes on show will be Greeves Series regulars.

If even seems possible we might get a 24MX6 and a 24ME.

The only extant 1956 Scrambles is unfortunately not going to be available.

Strangely we still have no 24SA or 24SAS Hawkstone lined up. Any offers?
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hello everyone.

I have the three bikes ready for the show.
                              All has gone quiet ?

Can someone ease my paranoia please.

Comment

Working...
                              X