Griffon QUB rebuild, Mk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon QUB rebuild, Mk2

I have finally found a nice winter project, unfortunately it is in the same poor condition as my last QUB rebuild posted here on the forum.
    Has been dismantled for over twenty years but I met the owner who has had it from 1979 and he is a good guy. So hopefully there will be few surprises when i start to take the engine apart.

I will post lots of pictures etc along the way.

PS, Some one tell Dave Harper that it was made in 1971 therefore can be raced in the championship, honest.
    Attached Files

This one presumably http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-Gr...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Nice find!

Good luck with your project Craig looking forward to another epic roller coaster rebuild journey . I know you will go it proud !👌👌👍👍

Comment

Well done Craig

Great project..

My uncle mike had a mk2... 79 was the year Greeves officially shut up shop... Also the year I was born....thatchers Britain started...

Do please upload lots of updates.. Be lovely to see them..

Would you like a nice 360 mx4 to go with it in your collection?

Regards

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
          Great project..

My uncle mike had a mk2... 79 was the year Greeves officially shut up shop... Also the year I was born....thatchers Britain started...

Do please upload lots of updates.. Be lovely to see them..

Would you like a nice 360 mx4 to go with it in your collection?

Regards

Scott
          Hi Scott,
          I am looking forward to the rebuild myself.
          I would like an MX4 but I like them wrecked and in boxes. That makes them cheap and makes them a challenge. As you know I race them with my son so when I fall off and break something it does not matter so much as the standard of finish is not great.

Craig

Comment

Took the primary drive casing off last night and was pleasantry surprised. It looks like it has not been touched
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks well

Looking at the condition I'd say the motor and gearbox should be low hours...

Hopefully crank will not be too corroded where the bearings run...

Scott

Comment

Damage on piston and head seen on FB. Got any further Craig?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                  Damage on piston and head seen on FB. Got any further Craig?
                  Hello Brian,
                  Here are the photo's of the piston and head.
                  At least I found the reason it ended up in boxes. Hopefully thats all that is wrong. The bore still looks very good and every set screw and nut on the engine looks untouched. I really don't think the engine has ever been apart since it left the factory.
                  Time will tell.
                  Attached Files

Comment

MCCoster debut in MX Des Nations

Yes good luck MCCoster u show em !!!

Comment

Thanks Dave and Kim,
                      I am still looking for a good Greeves pit crew as two of my bikes are racing (challenger and Josh's Griffon) with Kim's spare QUB ( my very very fast QUB) on standby duty. I can't think of the last time two Greeves where in a MX De Nations team. Now thats a question for the Greeves historians.
                      Have a good day on Sunday at Maylandsea, Dave, make sure you tighten that gear lever. Kim, sorry you won't be riding very fast as you will be using your own QUB.

I will let you know how the fat McCoster gets on. Winning the style award won't be a problem but not landing on his arse at some point might be.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                        Thanks Dave and Kim,
                        I am still looking for a good Greeves pit crew as two of my bikes are racing (challenger and Josh's Griffon) with Kim's spare QUB ( my very very fast QUB) on standby duty. I can't think of the last time two Greeves where in a MX De Nations team. Now thats a question for the Greeves historians.
                        Probably "never" is the answer as the Motocross Des Nations was for 500's.

Vic Allan was the sole Greeves rider in the British Team in 1970. On a 380 Griffon, of course. He finished sixth in the first leg, second in the second leg, and came second overall.

Or so it says in my book....
                        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 16/09/2016, 08:42 AM.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Reports from the track in Northern Ireland don't favour riding anything without a hovercraft attachment. One gent thinks the 200 metre bog will become unrideable very quickly. Don't hurry out to practice chaps!

Comment

Keep the faith a bit of Irish mist won't slow MCCoster 😂
                            Looking forward to Maylandsea as well !

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                              Reports from the track in Northern Ireland don't favour riding anything without a hovercraft attachment. One gent thinks the 200 metre bog will become unrideable very quickly. Don't hurry out to practice chaps!
                              Completely agree Brian,
                              I went round the track in my series 2 Landrover yesterday and missed the bog section out as I would have got stuck and my Landrover will go through most things.
                              There is no rain forecast so that might help a bit.
                              Also maybe my little challenger will have an advantage over all the big BSA's

Comment

Working...
                              X