No announcement yet.

strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi my little greeves apart from the 150 engine seems to be set up quite well under the rust it looks like several mods have been done, if it originally had a 197 engine the reg no will be great, the v5 which i have now got a copy of says it was first reg on 13. 10. 58. reg no PCO197, eng no 7238/4418, frme no 9082/TA and capacity 197cc. so it will live again and be ridden in the beamish trial later this year . will.

Comment

If it proves to be the 150cc Cup winner, I think it will be treasured as such by an enthusiastic collector.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        If it proves to be the 150cc Cup winner, I think it will be treasured as such by an enthusiastic collector.
        Brian its unlikely to be Allie Cameron's bike as that was supplied by Duncan’s of Brechin, Angus in 1959. aa will's bike has a 1958 CO Plymouth registration. The Angus mark would be SR.

Comment

It does seem unlikely, but this bike has had mods and an engine change that must have been done for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            It does seem unlikely, but this bike has had mods and an engine change that must have been done for a reason.
            More likely that a previous owner who did not know much about Villiers or Greeves acquired the 31C engine in mistake for a 9E or 31A before finding out it was only a 148cc. They look similar especially to the non expert. The 31A is the 246cc with the short (9E con rod)

Comment

hi i have finally got the rest of the details of my bike the last previous owner came round last night with lots of photocopied instruction and parts manuals, plu s a couple of old leading links from1984 his name,paul gambling and was listed as a new member in the august issue,he assures me that the engine was as now fitted,it went extremely well and thought that it was a 197, things happened and the bike was laid up in a shed in 1984 until i unearthed last month,my problem is that if it was a bit special should i convert it to a 250 and fit one of my trials chairs ,or keep it as it is and either try and do a deal for a 250 from someone who could use it as a 150.or try and buy a 250 bike at the right price on a totally different track i wonder if any member has any knowledge of my first greeves outfit which came from don smith and was also a bit modified, reg no no NOO233 about 1962 after failing to get up the big hills in the pierce simon trial i replaced the 250 motor with a bsa 441 victor i then had enough power to really get into trouble i still bear the scars to this day .. cheers will.

Comment

Originally posted by aa will View Post
                hi i have finally got the rest of the details of my bike the last previous owner came round last night with lots of photocopied instruction and parts manuals, plu s a couple of old leading links from1984 his name,paul gambling and was listed as a new member in the august issue,he assures me that the engine was as now fitted,it went extremely well and thought that it was a 197, things happened and the bike was laid up in a shed in 1984 until i unearthed last month,my problem is that if it was a bit special should i convert it to a 250 and fit one of my trials chairs ,or keep it as it is and either try and do a deal for a 250 from someone who could use it as a 150.or try and buy a 250 bike at the right price on a totally different track i wonder if any member has any knowledge of my first greeves outfit which came from don smith and was also a bit modified, reg no no NOO233 about 1962 after failing to get up the big hills in the pierce simon trial i replaced the 250 motor with a bsa 441 victor i then had enough power to really get into trouble i still bear the scars to this day .. cheers will.
                Partly good news NOO 233 is still listed on DVLA computer & still fitted with the 441cc BSA engine. Looks like its been unlicensed since Sept 2000, but of course could still be in use on private ground trials or in someones shed. Problem now is tracing the owner, the DVLA will not give you that info, so all you can really do is hope that someone spots it on here or maybe put an ad in one or more of the motorcycle mags & Leading Link.
                This is the listing from DVLA web site

The vehicle details for NOO 233 are:
                Date of Liability 01 09 2000
                Date of First Registration 07 11 1962
                Year of Manufacture 1962
                Cylinder Capacity (cc) 441cc
                CO₂ Emissions Not Available
                Fuel Type PETROL
                Export Marker N
                Vehicle Status Unlicensed
                Vehicle Colour BLACK
                Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

On reading your post again I am not sure if you are saying you still have NOO 233, if so then surely it would be easier to replace the 441cc engine with a Villiers 250 & go from there. Then restore the 150 bike as it is.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/04/2014, 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional text added

Comment

hi john no i must have sold it back in the back in the late 70s , will

Comment

hi just back from a weekend at stafford (on the panther owners club stand)but i think i pestered your(our)stand for lots of information so i will apologise to the guys i was talking to, the result was really helpful, i have now found a 32a bottom half with as new crankshaft with a billet clutch sprocket and various karting bits managed to do a deal on a trials ign kit from villiers services, and and long time trade friend (john harding) came up with a 34a barrell std bore which looks like new, with piston and a special manifold to fit my s25 carb,then threw in a13 tooth gearbox sprocket and a 18tooth engine sprocket which he assures me is what i will need all i need now is a cyl head to fit, one question with the scrambles porting and std carb will i get the sort of power that will pull a sidecar , has any member got any hints as to what other (if any)mods i would need , many thanks, will

Comment

h one question with the scrambles porting and std carb will i get the sort of power that will pull a sidecar , has any member got any hints as to what other (if any)mods i would need , many thanks, will
                      Back in the 1970's Pride & Clark were selling off new 34A (iron barrels) c/w piston & head. (They were the ones that Greeves took of the complete engines to fit their own alloy barrels)
                      I did the sort of conversion that you envisage on a Sprite trials bike using the standard S25 carb & the Sprite trials exhaust (a stubby noisy thing)
                      As for increased performance, whilst there was an increase in power it was not shattering & I suppose in real terms not a lot more that the standard 37A (trials barrel) I think that the 34A engine was ported to give maximum power with an open megga or expansion chamber exhaust and a larger 1 3/16" bore Amal 389 carb. The 37A was rated at 12.5 bhp & the 34A 19 bhp. But you wont get 19 bhp with the Villiers S25 carb and a trails type silencer. Maybe 14 or 15bhp.

Comment

hi just back from a weekend at stafford (on the panther owners club stand)but i think i pestered your(our)stand for lots of information so i will apologise to the guys i was talking to, the result was really helpful. will
                        No apology needed, Will, that's what we were there for - and thoroughly enjoying talking to everyone, yourself included.

Good show, wasn't it?
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

John the 1966 bike is OVW65D

Comment

150cc Greeves trials bikes

Following subsequent info coming forward it appears there were FOUR Greeves 150cc trials bike which were provided to Scottish rider Allie Cameron to contest the 150 cup in the SSDT They were:-
                            XWC264 (frame number unknown) 1963 Scottish
                            NEV5C (frame number unknown) 1965 Scottish
                            LVX4C (frame number 24TFS358) 1965 Scottish? may have been a duplicate bike
                            OVW65D (frame number 24TG375) 1966 Scottish

Comment

Working...
                            X