Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Clutch Drawing

Hi ,
    Ordered new bronze plates - adn when took clutch apart 3 of the steel plates fell to bits!!I have a drawing of the clutch from Rob that he kindly scanned for me - unfortunately Rhs of drawing is cut off - Can somebody confirm how many bronze and steel plates I should have? - Simon @ Nametab sent me 8 Bronze - but I could only locate 7 (very thin ) ones.......and also only appear to have the bits for 7 steel plates?.
    Thanks for any help on this
    Cheers Kim
    Last edited by Kim275; 01/02/2014, 03:06 PM.

Griffon clutch

Kim,
    Originally there were 7 brass and 7 steel plates, (they are brass not bronze). These were 18swg plates. You can get an extra plate in if the others are worn but it shouldn't really need it.

Druid

Comment

Many Thanks

Thanks Druid - appreciate your help .
      7 and 7 it is then - and I will order some new steel ones to go along with the Brass ones.

I am glad I took it apart as 3 of the steel plates just fell into bits! - That said despite its very worn condition the clutch was amazingly still working well and always gave me a quick start last season!.

All I need to do now is find the spring that pinged across the Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
        Thanks Druid - appreciate your help .
        7 and 7 it is then - and I will order some new steel ones to go along with the Brass ones.

I am glad I took it apart as 3 of the steel plates just fell into bits! - That said despite its very worn condition the clutch was amazingly still working well and always gave me a quick start last season!.

All I need to do now is find the spring that pinged across the Garage
        Boyng said Zebedee

Comment

Griffon clutch

Kim,
          Let me know if you don't find it, I've got plenty.

Druid

Comment

On the subject of the Greeves all metal clutch, I fitted one to my Silverstone a few seasons ago and it still seems to be working fine, despite all the races now being clutch starts. However, I figure I should take it apart and check it out over the winter before the coming race season. The question is; what does the tool look like to compress the clutch plate pack to remove the clips and free the end plate? Could someone post a sketch so I can make a suitable tool please.
            Thanks
            Stan

Comment

Found the spring !

Druid thanks for offer much appreciated . I managed to find the spring and will order new plates from Nametab tomorrow .
              Stan clearly I am not the expert but no need to compress the plates you take out each spring by pushing it from the back and removing the clip from the front . When I spoke to Geoff nunn he mentioned he had made up a tool to help with this bt not sure what it is . Based on the fact I thought my clutch was worn but still working and three plates disintegrated then well worth checking . Druid any tips for safe removal ? Cheers Kim

Comment

Griffon clutch

There is a GST for compressing the clutch spring to remove the circlip. Basically it's a flat bottomed U piece with a hole to take one of the 1 BA screws from the clutch adjuster plate or the case screws. This is screwed into the spring peg and pulls the peg through the top plate to enable the circlip to be pinged out of the groove and lost on the workshop floor.
                Geoff Nunn's special tool is long flat bar with a 1 BA clearance hole, the leverage from the long bar against the top plate pulls the peg through.

Druid

Comment

Thanks, Kim and Druid. I will make up a tool and check out the plates. Good to see that Simon has the plates available if required.
                  Stan

Comment

Simon did tell me (last year at Telford) that he has had complete Griffon clutches remanufactured.

I remember dismantling and reassembling the Griffon clutch for my Silverstone without needing any special tools. And it worked afterwards!
                    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/02/2014, 08:49 AM.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin then there is hope for me then when I try the reverse procedure at the weekend !
                      Correct re simon and new manufactured griffon clutches .
                      I did hear from somebody that you could get an NEB clutch for a griffon at a cost of one arm two legs .... And if the mrs finds out probably a gonad as well !!! So I will just Fix The one I have ! ( Nb I mean clutch and therefore both gonads ) !

Comment

griffon clutch

steve gollins has new steel plates sets wrapped in 70,s paper new
                        found hardest part was putting the clips on the springs keeping the
                        plates alighned for the basket

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                          I did hear from somebody that you could get an NEB clutch for a griffon at a cost of one arm two legs .... And if the mrs finds out probably a gonad as well !!! So I will just Fix The one I have ! ( Nb I mean clutch and therefore both gonads ) !
                          Of course we all thought you meant the missus...
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Greeves Clutch Drawings.

Can be found here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4952

Brian.
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/04/2015, 08:16 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Working...
                            X