X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more MOTs for Pre-1960 vehicles

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

No more MOTs for Pre-1960 vehicles

B****r mine's missed it by 5 years. Seriously though I wonder if this is such a good idea as it appears. A lot of classic vehicle owners have been sceptical about this. What have the goverment got up their sleeve? Maybe a limit on mileage, or only allowed on the road for shows, rallies etc!!!
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/05/2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Missed it by months!

My 32DC was first registered 5th April 1961 (still needs an MoT - by three months)

My TR5T was manufactured in January 1973 (still have to pay for tax disc - by one month)

I'm doing something wrong somewhere...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        My 32DC was first registered 5th April 1961 (still needs an MoT - by three months)

My TR5T was manufactured in January 1973 (still have to pay for tax disc - by one month)

I'm doing something wrong somewhere...
        I wonder if you will need an MOT for a new registration of a pre 1960 bike ?

Comment

No more MOT's

Am I being obtuse - does pre 1960 include bikes registered up to and including 1960 bikes and bikes 1959 and older. Must be my legal background in a former life which queries such things.

Comment

MoT exemption

Originally posted by ronwright26 View Post
            Am I being obtuse - does pre 1960 include bikes registered up to and including 1960 bikes and bikes 1959 and older. Must be my legal background in a former life which queries such things.
            Vehicles MANUFACTURED BEFORE 1st JAN 1960. so it will include new re registrations as long as a dating certificate (or other evidence) is submitted to prove manufacturing date. see this link

Comment

Mots for pre-60?

My MOT man says he's had a letter from VOSA saying this is all just speculation and they have no intention of exempting anything from Mots!

Looks like the press have jumped on something due to lake of stories.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                I wonder if you will need an MOT for a new registration of a pre 1960 bike ?
                It looks like you will need an MOT if its a 1st registration,involves number changing or an age related number of a pre 1960 bike.

Comment

MoT exemption

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                  My MOT man says he's had a letter from VOSA saying this is all just speculation and they have no intention of exempting anything from Mots!

Looks like the press have jumped on something due to lake of stories.....
                  I dont think so. This is a statement from FBHVC on the subject http://fbhvc.co.uk/2012/05/21/histor...mption-review/ The GRA are affiliated so this should be an accurate source of info. The pre 1960 MoT exemption is planned to come into force on 18th November 2012

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    I dont think so. This is a statement from FBHVC on the subject http://fbhvc.co.uk/2012/05/21/histor...mption-review/ The GRA are affiliated so this should be an accurate source of info. The pre 1960 MoT exemption is planned to come into force on 18th November 2012

Apparently the government decided all this without consulting, or even telling VOSA until after the press release!! Nice one!

Comment

I have a copy of the car mag "Practical Classics" and they are dead against this move. They state that from November, the owner will have to sign a declaration that the vehicle is in good roadworthy condition before an insurer will issue a policy. The follow-on from that is full liability for any faults causing , or discovered after an accident. They seem to think this may herald "private" forms of MOT testing which will be more expensive than at present.

Comment

This is the latest from FBHVC on this topic. It looks as if we'll be able to get pre '60 vehicles MoT'd on a voluntary basis if need be.

Could be that insurance companies might require us to do so - back to square one. Heigh ho...

MOT CONSULTATION

Mike Penning, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport, announced the results of the Historic Vehicles MoT Exemption Review on 21 May 2012. The Department for Transport is in favour of exemption for pre-1960 vehicles and it is proposed this will take effect from 18 November 2012. Owners of exempted vehicles will be able to take them for a voluntary test under the new regulations.

The FBHVC’s initial response is a cautious welcome to a result that matches the wishes of the majority of respondents to the Federation’s MoT survey. We hope to get more information about the detail of the proposals from the DfT in due course, particularly about passenger carrying vehicles in commercial use which would appear, from the DfT statement, also to be exempt from MoT testing.

In principal, owners of vehicle of all ages accept the discipline of being treated as ordinary motorists in order to use the road. The responsibility for a vehicle being roadworthy will not be withdrawn, nor has the need for the duty of care required to ensure that full and proper maintenance of the vehicle has been undertaken.

In our survey there was considerable interest in maintaining some form of voluntary test which with the right equipment and knowledge, should not present problems, or cause any damage. The necessity for an MoT test is also enshrined in other regulations such as: first registration on import; as part of the V765 procedure; obtaining an age related mark; transfer of marks; re-licensing from unlicensed etc. In all these circumstances a test is necessary for the protection of fraud, and in the case of the import of vehicles never made in the UK, conformity with Construction and Use regulations. The current Individual Vehicle Approval test would not be appropriate. We will be seeking clarification on these issues.

The Federation has always been mindful that the use of historic vehicles might be restricted if exemptions from the annual MoT test were applied. We have been very careful to ask this question in all dealings with the Minister on this subject.

It could be said that some have a fetish about regulations on use being imposed. Sanctions on use can never be ruled out but this has not happened in the past when, for example, an exemption from VED was introduced for pre-‘73 built vehicles.

The results of the FBHVC MoT survey do not appear to be the same as other surveys conducted by the motoring press, and in some cases our member clubs have given us an opinion which is at odds with the results from our online survey of individuals. This wide diversity of opinions is being looked at closely by the FBHVC board.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

I shall continue to have my 1956 machine MOT' ed just to get a fresh pair of eyes to give it the once over.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                            I shall continue to have my 1956 machine MOT' ed just to get a fresh pair of eyes to give it the once over.
                            The trouble is that even new small capacity bikes wont pass the brake test according to my MOT man.You need a sympathetic tester for Greeves.I remember my first MOT in 1965.I had to hold with 1 brake on a sloping greasy plank.Not easy balancing on 1 leg for the back brake.No wonder I failed.What model is your 1956 Greeves as I am collecting surviving numbers for 20T and 20R3/4

Comment

East Coaster

Comment

Working...
                              X