I'm looking for a bike to greenlane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a bike to greenlane?

Hello guys, I thought I'd join the forum as a good way of getting hold of the right bike for me rather than buy some rubbish off ebay.

I've never owned a Greeves but like there ruggedness and simplicity.

I'm looking for a bike to do some greenlaning on and possible events such as the beamish trial etc.

what would be the best bike for me?? I currently own a few old bikes so I appreciate these things need tender love and care, and the odd bit of fettling now and again.

Any advice would appreciated Glyn

Hi Glyn welcome aboard
    For a green laner I would suggest you go for one of the iron barreled 250's The 1959 24TAS or 1960 24TCS Scottish. Dont bother with the 197 engined ones as they are a bit under powered. One like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/drewgr...-nLmn6d-618xGT
    These bike are rugged easy to ride & maintain, spares are fairly easy to source if a tad expensive these days. I would go for a good used bike as against a 'show queen'.
    The 32A engines have lighting coils so lights can be fitted which is handy if you are planning to do greenlaning in the winter months when daylight fades quickly in the afternoons. Check with owner though, as some engines have had lighting coils removed. Expect to pay around £1800 to £2500 for a decent bike.
    Best to buy one from a member rather than take your chance on some of the crap on eBay. Obviously you have made it known that you are looking for a bike so someone should pop up & offer you one.
    Happy hunting
    John

Comment

Glyn,
      All good advice form John.
      Have a good look around - there are some later options like Griffon Enduro (Paul Andrews member in west country has one) - wide ratio box - more power - more cost and rare to find and spares harder to come by than the Scottish - which was after all one of the bikes that put Greeves on the map - whihc would be a better starter bike.

John question - I would have thought an Anglian would also be an option for Greenlaning as well ?

Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
        John question - I would have thought an Anglian would also be an option for Greenlaning as well ?
        Cheers Kim
        Yes the Anglian or indeed the TES would be OK but the alloy engine top half can be a bit rattly on the road due to detonation, also the riding position, seat etc are more suited to serious trials riding, the 'old' Scottish with a scramble seat, or rubber saddle is quite comfortable to ride on the road.
        Also there seem to be more TA/TC Scottish bikes about. A bit uncompetitive for trials these days but ideal for greenlaning & one other important thing their long chrome Villiers pattern exhaust is much quieter than the stubby system fitted to the Anglian & TES.
        One other thing, avoid a bike with fibreglass tank as the ethanol in today's petrol will cause it to 'melt'. Go for one with steel or alloy tank. the TA/TC Scottish had steel tank as standard.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/08/2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

There is a 24TDS on Gumtree at the moment https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-moto...sh./1183584934
          Looks a tidy restored bike with some spares, frame number is 61/1317 Reg number 579UXD (age related) Asking price a tad high at £2750 its at Penryn Cornwall. Tel 07856 601003. Its been on before so maybe the owner would take a lower offer now.

Its also listed in the September issue of OBM for £2700
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/09/2016, 03:51 PM. Reason: OBM listing added

Comment

see what you mean John - that bike looks good - and ideal for green laning - with a higher scrambles saddle

Comment

all good advice, thanks guys

Many thanks for the early responses and sound advice guys.

I looked at the one on car and classic you mentioned and then low and behold it turned up on my door step in "old bike mart". I called the guy and had a nice long chat. Its been lovingly restored by his father who died recently and the family is selling his bikes and donating the money to the air ambulance.

Its ready to go with full MOT, sounds so perfect that I've said i'll have it and he's keeping it till next Thursday when I'll crunch down there in my van. It is 5.5 hrs each way. I feels like the right thing to do and his son said he wanted to sell it to someone who would use it and enjoy it, which I certainly intend to do. Hopefully the father will look down in the coming weeks and give me the nod. I feel honoured to be the next custodian of this lovely machine. I'm booked in to go to the Beamish 2016 in a couple of weeks and there's a local VMCC (Taverners section) green lane day out later on in Sept too.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Good result Glyn, looks a good honest bike & I am sure it will be worth the effort of the megga drive to get it. Glad to have helped in a small way.

Comment

Hi Guys

just had a play on my new Greeves on some local waste land, and it performs pretty good , nice light clutch, easy to start and good suspension, just getting used to the trials gearbox thought tops out at about 30mph but didn't want to thrash her too much as it s got new piston.

whats the oil to petrol ratio, the guy said 32 :1 does that sound right?

I'd like to attach a photo but not sure how???
                  Glyn

Comment

With modern two-stroke premix oils, 30:1 will be fine.

I don't think you can attach photos unless you're a GRA member.

I believe you said you've joined, so now you need to email or PM Rob Thornton and he'll upgrade you.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Personally I would go for the Villiers recommended 20:1 & would use a standard SAE30 mineral oil such as Comma Two stroke http://www.commaoil.com/passenger-ve...iew/267/TST5L/ (I have used this for over 16 years in my 25DC & its always given good results). Do not waste money on the super synthetic oils which or ok for modern 2 strokes & highly tuned comp bikes but not really suited to the old standard Villiers engines.
                      The oil ratio affects the carburation & the carb jet sizes at the time were worked out on the basis of 20:1 petrol/oil ratio
                      With regards to gear ratios the standard top gear ratio on your bike when new would be 7.8:1 the primary ratio cant be changed so the easiest way would be to change the rear sprocket to a smaller size thus giving a more suitable top gear for road riding & green laning. The top gear ratio on a roadster with the 32A/37A engine would be around 6:1
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/09/2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Is anyone entered onto the Beamish trial

I 'm off up there on Saturday. Its my first time and two of my friends didn't get in so doing it on my own. Any tips on what to take? apart from the bike...

Comment

Maybe Dick or Rob our chairman .... Respond in the trifle section in case they miss it . Good luck any way and really pleased u got a good bike
                          Cheers Kim

Comment

Thanks for the info John regarding 2 stroke ratios.

When you talked about 6:1 ration on the rear sprocket, what does that relate to in teeth..

Comment

Originally posted by bunchybooboo View Post
                              Thanks for the info John regarding 2 stroke ratios.

When you talked about 6:1 ration on the rear sprocket, what does that relate to in teeth..
                              Not sure as I dont have a manual for the 250 singles but no doubt someone can tell you, the rear sprocket on a twin for the road is 48T so I would think something like 55 or 56 would be in order but you need to work it out by calculating the primary & secondary ratios, there are also various sizes of gear box sprockets. I would have thought for road/green lane use you need to aim for around 7:1 overall ratio.

Comment

Working...
                              X