Primary chaincase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary chaincase

Just an idle question really, but did all the Silverstones with the Albion gearbox (RBS to RES) have the outer primary case attached with the two studs between the engine sprocket and the clutch? My RDS, supposedly the Orpin w/c bike built by Peter Williams in early 66, has a similar case to the Griffons with the 1/4 Whitworth screws around the outside edge but with a casting change to accept the tach drive. Was this standard or something that Peter made up?
    Thanks,
    Stan

My RCS has the Griffon 6 screw chaincase with rev counter drive and the pics of the Oulton show the same. As there were no electronic rev counters fitted at the time I would assume it was standard fitting. I believe there is a tool to align the cover if a rev counter drive is used but I have not seen one. Colin

Comment

Are you sure it is a Griffon case Colin and not the later Challenger pre Griffon cases? Like the black painted set I sold you?

David.

Comment

Oh, I see! The case on my RDS Silverstone looks like the one in the photo but with a recess to carry the tach drive and it has a ball race fitted on the inside that fits over the plain diameter on the end of the crank. This maintains the alignment between the end of the crank and the external tach drive. This design was used on the later Silverstones then?
        My RCS, that I think is original and had not been raced for many years when I bought it from the brother of a friend in the UK and is therefore unmodified, has the 2 stud mounting for the primary case and a plain hole to locate the tach drive to the outer case. I made a tool to align this tach drive location diameter with the end of the crank when I ran the RDS with the RCS gearbox, clutch and primary drive for a while after I broke the cam change gearbox and waited for Nova to make a one-off replacement gear for me.
        Thanks,
        Stan

Comment

They used both types Stan. I have a late RES and it is fitted with the original Challenger type chaincase. Your Nova gear must have been pricy? A Nova 6 speed box for the Silverstone is 2k plus.

David.

Comment

David, Yes you are correct. I had incorrectly assumed that only Silverstones would have used a chaincase with a machined rev counter mounting. Colin

Comment

I guess with Greeves it was just a case of using what was to hand. Both work - but there is no doubt that the later Challenger chaincase is a far superior design.

Regards,
              David.

Comment

Working...
              X