Strange upper shock mounting on Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange upper shock mounting on Scottish

Recently bought a Scottish TE and was looking at the mounting brackets at the top of the rear shock absorbers where they join the rear of the main frame. I noticed one top bracket was a completely different shape than the other (left side has a sort of cowl over the bolt, whilst right is open). I initially thought that the bike had been repaired after damage, but looking at other photos of similar Scottish bikes I can see that this does not seem to be the case and this design is exactly the same as them. Does anyone know what was the reason for this strange mismatch - can't really make head nor tail of it.

Do you mean the nearside rear shock being stepped out to clear the chain run?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
      Do you mean the nearside rear shock being stepped out to clear the chain run?
      I think you are probably right Ian.

This TES is for sale on Ebay at the moment and is the same as mine. It didn't occur to me that it was stepped out for the chain, I stood behind the bike and they just looked equal

Comment

Mark. If you have a close look at the rear subframe you will find they are different one side to the other. You should be able to see in this picture that the nearside tube going from the rear shock mount to the rear engine mount is offset from the top tube of the subframe, then part way down it bends back in again. The off-side one is in line with the top tube, and runs down straight.

Hope this helps.

Ian
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          Mark. If you have a close look at the rear subframe you will find they are different one side to the other. You should be able to see in this picture that the nearside tube going from the rear shock mount to the rear engine mount is offset from the top tube of the subframe, then part way down it bends back in again. The off-side one is in line with the top tube, and runs down straight.

Hope this helps.

Ian
          Thanks Ian, thats exactly what I was looking at on my bike (I was also convinced - as I can now see wrongly, that the kink on that near side down tube was a result of damage) Ive got a lot to learn.. ..

Comment

Working...
          X