Pathfinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder

could anyone help re exhaust mod as this machine is very loud. I believe Comfords made a modification to solve this. I should of course mention the engine is a Puch175.
    A further problem I believe exists, is a high rev power band, as opposed to wanting bottom end power for trials work.
    I have just purchased this bike, and have it in peace's at the moment , and would be the ideal time to carry out any work before rebuild.
    Thanks in advance to any one who can offer assistance.

regards Alasdair

The original exhaust was fairly quiet, so I have no idea what has happened to yours. Is it complete with the little can on the end?

Comment

Alasdair, I think you have duplicated your thread, as I replied along with Brian Catt on this one http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=6611
      Your Pathfinder appears to have the original rear 'can', so looks like someone has modified it hence the louder noise.

Comment

ORRe Article

Hi Alasdair,
        You probably should speculate the subscription fee, and have a look at Issue One of the online Offroad Revue magazine, which can be accessed from here:

There is a general description of the Comerford modification, but perhaps not sufficiently detailed to be able to easily copy it?
        It's worth the sub anyway for the reading and pictures!

HTH
        AndyB

Comment

pathfinder

Morning John and Brian, thank you both very much for your information which I have filed away, apologies for posting under trials section as I afterwards thought that this might have a wider following, than the new members section.
          As there has been further postings from David and Andy B it seems to have worked.
          I now have some homework to do and sift through information and then put this in to action.

Thank you all for comments ,and please don't stop if there is someone with any further tips.

Regards to all Alasdair

Comment

Yamaha Pathfinder

I have attached a pic of the Yamaha engined Pathfinder which is currently for sale on Gumtree for £1500. Looks a very neat job.
            Find amazing local prices on used Cars, Vans & Motorbikes for sale ✅ Shop hassle-free with Gumtree, your local buying & selling community.
            Attached Files

Comment

Pathfinder

Hi again. John thanks for picture it must of been snapped up as it has gone.

Andy B You have been very busy what a portfolio, much obliged for all the info. The rear exhaust canister has I am sure been got at, a ugly weld around it, and smoothed off on the visible side.

thanks again chaps for passing on the information.

Alasdair

Comment

Hello conmac nice to see you have a pathfinder and want to ride it in trials as Bert intended I am building the same bike with the intention of competing in twinshock trials The exhaust you have is wrong That rear silencer is normaly quiet and has been messed about with.

Comment

Pathfinder Info.

HI Alasdair. The main problem with the pathfinder to ride in trials competition is indeed that exhaust system. You need to get away from the expansion chamber and make up or adapt an absorption type silencer with maybe a longer front pipe as most trials two strokes use. The expansion chamber does not have enough back pressure for bottom end torque. With that system they fly at high revs but it gives a powerband which is not suitable for trials.However the Reg May Comerfords absorbtion silencer was much better and the works riders used this. It did not use the rear can and it sounded better the front pipe was also longer. I tried to find one for my bike without success. I have an alloy wes all in one silencer intended for the yamaha ty 175 which i will adapt for my bike. Also the 26mm bing carb needs to go. This carb is a bit large for a 170 cc trials engine. My 280 swm uses a 26 mm dellorto. I have a 25mm dellorto as used on the 200 and 240 fantic to try and a 22mm mikuni. Both these carbs should help low end power. The slide is badly worn in my bing carb and upsets the power on the pilot jet , also the slides are not available.RBO in Austria have most of the engine parts and have an excellent service ,very prompt. As for working on the engine its not as complicated as some people say .Its best to obtain a manual to understand the draw key gearbox and building it. I have rebuilt two engines and the only problems i have had are due to people putting them in a bodge fashion and leaving shims out. Once they are built properly and set up they are reliable. I bought a new one in 1971 and ran it constantly for 4 years ,It gave good service. Just keeping the gear oil clean and routine maintenance.Their are many special tools that puch had to work on the engine but you dont need them. The only tool you need is the flywheel puller.

Comment

Working...
                  X