Winter sniffles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky lucky man.
    Do you need a 53 year old apprentice? Will work for food and water.
    I will even throw in a couple of Greeves's

Comment

Extra Cleaverage.....

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
      Have to say, looking from the front, it has more than a passing ressemblance to dolly parton........
      Dave....'ave you been wearing them beer goggles again.....?

Great pics mate, thanks for postin'...

Brian.

Comment

Is that three speeds plus reverse, Dave?

The two pinions on the left of the first picture look like they might be to reverse the direction of rotation on that side, plus the large rear axle sprocket on that side indicates low gearing..?
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Clear as mud!

Here you go colin, pic one shows a view from the top, four sprockets, 1st to 4th, left to right as you see it.
          The black selecter bar ( wriggly monkey ) sits on top of the bevel box & pivots backwards & forwards on the centre bolt.
          Its job is to provide an interlock system, to stop more than one gear engaging at once.
          There are two selecter dogs, one on the left of the cross shaft & one on the right.
          These dogs run on keyways & are part of the continuously rotating cross shaft.
          The four forward cross shaft sprockets turn freely on the cross shaft, only becoming part of the drive train, when either one of them is engaged by the sliding selecter dog
          These dogs, are operated by quadrants & a selecter pin, again, one on the left & one on the right.
          As the quadrant moves, it pushes the selector pin, which sits in the drive dog, enabling the dog to travel either way along the cross shaft untill full gear engagement is achieved between the selecter dog & sprocket.
          The wriggly monkey ensures no other gear can then be selected, by holding the selecter pin of the opposite side selecter dog in a neautral position.
          This is achieved by the selecter pin being guided by the 3 elongated slots, machined out of either end of the wriggly monkey
          Reverse is the small chain on the far left of pic 1, the reverse gear sprocket is fixed by keyway to the cross shaft & is turning all the time, the short chain drives the reverse shaft behind it, which again, is constantly live.
          Selection of reverse, is by a quadrant underneath, which moves the sliding reverse gear along, until it engages with the gear built onto the 2nd gear sprocket, enabling the 2nd gear drive to reverse the direction to the back axle.
          I have put a dab of paint on the reverse gear to show it dissengaged & white paint on the reverse & 2nd gear to show it engaged.
          Other pics from various angles to show selector dogs etc.
          Dogs!...monkeys!...but no emu`s....sorry Brian......
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dave higgins; 04/03/2016, 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling is rubbish

Comment

I think we need a video.......

Comment

So in principle I was about right?

What an ingenious layout - and so much easier to get at "the works" than a conventional gearbox. Paddock fettling no problem, I imagine?

Must take a fair degree of skill to avoid crunching the dogs on down-changes.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Yes colin...about right, give or take a gear or two..... mind you!...being pistol whipped by a flying chain.............nasty!
                Although, some people pay for that sort of thing!!!!...... or so i am told....

Comment

Great pics and explanation Dave, nice one.

Really interesting thread mate, well done.

I want a wriggly monkey......where can I get one.....??!!!!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                    Yes colin...about right, give or take a gear or two..... mind you!...being pistol whipped by a flying chain.............nasty!
                    Although, some people pay for that sort of thing!!!!...... or so i am told....
                    If it were mine I'd be consider installing a floor in 1/4" steel plate...
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                    X