Stewart McCarthy Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart McCarthy Lincoln

Hi , I am a 68 year old fan of all things mechanical , I have a 1957 Norton Dominator, a 1999 Honda VFR and have just aquired a 1957 Greeves which is a bit of a special.
    It has a 1H engine (number 935AO102) which has been bored out to 250 cc by Villiers Services.
    The frame number is 7049/T.
    I am new to two strokes and would value being pointed in the direction of any literature especially regarding maintenance of the engine. I have looked but there are so many variants of villiers engines it is confusing for a new boy !
    Merry Christmas.

Hi Stewart, welcome to the forum. I've replied to your query about the 20T on the other thread you started. I repeat, roadster or trials bike, the engine you need is a 9E.

If you're getting into Greeves, there is plenty of help on here- and it would also be worthwhile joining the GRA.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by stewart mccarthy View Post
      Hi , I am a 68 year old fan of all things mechanical , I have a 1957 Norton Dominator, a 1999 Honda VFR and have just aquired a 1957 Greeves which is a bit of a special.
      It has a 1H engine (number 935AO102) which has been bored out to 250 cc by Villiers Services.
      The frame number is 7049/T.
      I am new to two strokes and would value being pointed in the direction of any literature especially regarding maintenance of the engine. I have looked but there are so many variants of villiers engines it is confusing for a new boy !
      Merry Christmas.
      I have a 1957 20T as well although I have tried to make mine as original.Colin Sparrows excellent book Greeves the complete story has pictures of a 20T and its specification.It depends what you want to use yours for.It originally had a 9E 4 speed engine in it as others have said.The engine plates are different for a 1H engine but the 1H plates also fit 2T and 3T engines and possibly 4T (I,m not sure).Greeves info for the 20T is just a list of part numbers,no pictures.Villiers books have all the info for their engines and Villiers Services have all the parts.The 1H has a remote ignition coil as does the 2T and 3T although I believe they are different.The wheel centering and rear chain alignment must be checked as Greeves used a lot of spacers to move things around and your is obviously not standard.The standard seat is a rubber Dunlop but a dual seat will be more comfortable.The standard front wheel is a 21 inch to suit the forks and the rear 18 inch.The original has a side stand but if the engine plates for the 1H are Greeves you could fit a centre stand off a 25DB.

Comment

1H Powerrrrrrrr!!!!!!

So the 1H engine has been slagged of something rotten, well if it rides ok and is only for the road whats wrong with that! I have ridden a few 1H engined bikes and while not quick they are a pleasant ride with quite good bottom end. So if you like it stick with it!

Comment

I think the point here is that the 20T is now a vary rare bike, probably less than 10 surviving. The bike that Stewart has bought has obviously been built up with non standard parts into something that no longer represents what the bike would have been. Of course without seeing pics it is difficult to know how much of it is still original, and if it is a viable proposition to get it back to original, (assuming Stewart wants to do that)
          I hope that Stewart was in the picture as to what the bike was when he bought it & paid a price that reflected this. Obviously it would not be as valuable as a correct spec 20T, & these days matching numbers & parts are what its all about to many people.
          Had the frame been from a later more prolific model then it would not be so much of an issue. All this goes to show the value of this GRA web site, and anyone contemplating buying a Greeves would do well to ask a few questions on here before committing to buy.

Comment

Many thanks for all your information gentlemen. Yes, I did know that it was a none standard bike before I bought it. I dont have any intention to put the bike back to standard, I simply want something a bit different to bimble around on.
            I have a 1957 Norton Dominator on which I have travelled 18000 miles . I love it dearly but it has had many mods over the years, 12 volt electrics, electronic ignition and charging control, belt drive primary, Commando clutch, chain and sprockets, the list goes on.
            Not many of these mods are visible but what they do is to make the bike very reliable and capable of holding its own in modern traffic . I can see the point of view of the purist but for me there are no bad bikes, just some are better than others !

Comment

1H Powerrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Just keep on bimbling Stewart! John P

Comment

Tyre Availability

Hi Gentlemen , are there any tyres other than Chinese nylon types in 2.75 x 19.00 for a front wheel ? Ive searched the internet to no avail

Comment

Originally posted by stewart mccarthy View Post
                  Hi Gentlemen , are there any tyres other than Chinese nylon types in 2.75 x 19.00 for a front wheel ? Ive searched the internet to no avail
                  A bit late but I have only just come across this posting. Maxxis do a 2.75x19 ribbed tyre http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYRE-TUBE-...-/181556099857
                  These are Tiawanese not Chinese & as far as I know a respectable make.
                  Avon stopped making the 2.75x19 'Speedmaster' some years ago but still do a 300x19 which just has enough clearance on the fork loop.

Comment

Working...
                  X