A must!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A must!

Having recently had a coversation with someone who had run his car into the rear of another with so little force neither vehicle showed any sign of an impact, and both parties seemingly happy with the lack of damage.He was disgusted to find on renewal of his insurance that the female owner of the car he "tapped" had claimed whip-lash for herself and her son.Of course his premium had rocketed.He now runs a dash board camera.
    I have since fitted cameras to both our vehicles,they are located in a clip-on rear view mirror[2 cameras] with a seperate camera on the rear window.There is a micro SD card which can be down loaded should any clips need storing. I have started a series of clips of any appalling driving we witness and recently stopped to help after witnessing a collision between two cars.The young driver who caused the accident[just coming off a 24 hour shift!!] tried claim it was the other drivers fault! We were able to down load the video clip onto disc for the other driver to present to his insurance company.
    We film every journey in both our vehicles and keep the worst bits. starider

What a sad world this is turning into. No trust, honour or integrity.

Comment

When do we arm up with a machine gun on the front lawn then,!! What a sad World going out of control, all morals , respect for each other, and in general the tings that were a matter of fact in 1950 era has now dissapeared

Comment

"Having recently had a coversation with someone who had run his car into the rear of another with so little force neither vehicle showed any sign of an impact, and both parties seemingly happy with the lack of damage.He was disgusted to find on renewal of his insurance that the female owner of the car he "tapped" had claimed whip-lash for herself and her son.Of course his premium had rocketed."

Hmm, I'd have a number of issues needing clarified before swallowing this tale as factual.

Comment

Hang on is this question turning into a fairy tale now?

Comment

Just picked up the replies to my post.

Hi, sorry to the "doubting" amongst you, but the story is absolutely true and since my post a large number of prosecutions have resulted from this type of false injury claim. Insurance companies and police are now investigating this type of fraudulant claim.
            Another reminder, keep those rear number plates clean, because there are now no taxation discs, police are widely using ANPR cameras to check for tax and insurance dodgers, if your rear plate is unreadable you will be booked[I believe £90 plus points]. starider

Comment

"Hmm, I'd have a number of issues needing clarified before swallowing this tale as factual."

Yes, I'm afraid these stories are very true. My friend's daughter tapped into the back of a car and did no more than crack the number plate. Just as the case here, when renewal time came, she found her policy had shot up and sure enough, she found a whiplash claim had been made and paid out on.

My wife wrote off her car (no fault of hers!) and because it is registered in my name, I have been pestered ever since by firms wanting to claim damages on my behalf, mostly for whiplash. When I tell them I wasn't even in the car, they are not bothered and still want to persue the claim! The accident was over 2 years ago and I had yet another call only last week! You can see why slightly dishonest people are dragged along with it. No, neither my wife nor I would entertain going down that route but it seems an easy way to make a few bob.

A Greeves-riding friend of mine's daughter had an idiot wandering about in the road high on methadone walk into the side of her car while she was still just about moving. There was a hue and cry and someone on said idiot's behalf successfully claimed damages against daughter. When Greeves rider, understandably angry, took it up with the insurance company, they said it was policy to shell out a sum of money and have done with it. Needless to say, she ended up paying more through absolutely no fault of her own.

These are real stories folks involving real people!

Only today, I noticed some sporting-type cyclists out on a run with headcams on their helmets, not a bad idea. Can anyone suggest a suitable type of camera and give some idea of cost and supplier please?

Comment

Is film evidence from these cameras admissable in a court, only i was under the impression, digital footage was not, as its so easily tampered with......!
                Or is my " teach yourself law " annual by perry mason out of date?.........

Comment

Not sure Dave but it makes the law sit up and take notice. We had a couple of 'bikers' round this way pulling wheelies and one of them managed to fall off and slid along the road on the wrong side and just about stopped under the front bumper of an oncoming van. This had a dash cam and showed the episode in glorious detail. The law then looked into their antics earlier in the day and found they had done over a ton along the local bypass. This must have been done by refering back to the roadside CCTV cameras and working out timing from stored footage. Although you could argue this is not calibrated, it showed they were going naughtily-fast and was still enough to add to the other charges and the pair of them got a real wopping! It was all on the BBC local news webpage complete with footage of how not to pull a wheelie.

It might not be admissable evidence per see but it seems to work for the law!

Comment

SWMBO had a similar situation a year or so ago. Coming onto a slip-road on the A30 in Cornwall, there was a car ahead of her with a lightweight boat trailer, complete with dinghy, in front. It stopped rather suddenly, instead of progressing onto the nearside carriageway, as 'er indoors was looking to the right, checking the traffic. Classic situation, as she looked forward, she braked too late to avoid tapping the dinghy. Not properly secured, it slid forward on the trailer, contacting the car's tailgate, making a small dent. Everyone got out, all very friendly, exchanged details. only for her to find some time later that the bill for repairing the car was £4500, plus whiplash claims.

Trouble is, cameras such as Go-Pro and Drift start at £100 each; 2 cars, 4 cameras (not sure why you have 2 facing forward in each) = £400+, all in an attempt to save the insurance companies money, and they are just as likely to pay out anyway.

Insurance companies support this kind of stuff. If you get tail-ended, and have legal cover insurance, they will do all they can to get you to have a medical check (privately) for whiplash, then physio therapy, then encourage you to provide lists of all related out of pocket expenses. A whole industry is now built on this, with physios, doctors, lawyers, you name it, all earning a living from it.

It creates jobs, I suppose....

Comment

Yes , professional confidence tricksters i would class them all , we feel as though we are frightened to move out of our driveway in case there is a claim, no need to worry about that , as people coming on your property look to claim if they slip up, or trip over a garden gnome or get pissed at a party you may be having and fall over, whats the next step build a wall round your house and gated driveway with a letter box so mail can be delivered, assuming it is not fitted with a spring that might catch fingers!!!

I find when out walking anywhere, with your dog, or on your own, saying hello or making conversation with anyone in a lot of cases falls flat , head down and wrapped up in there own world they may be , but politeness and conversation is dissapearing sad old world.

As Rob knows, a few years ago I was on a sking holiday in Italy, and i was knocked over by a lunatic Italion who was careeing out of control as i was crossing down a hill, i was surounded imeadiatly by other skiers who agreed he was not watching the skiers below, anyway 30 minits later as i was on my own this chap and his daughter came up and attacked me with his ski stick ans abuse a short while later police on ski mobile came and took me to an office and i got the 3rd degree in itallion, i had to fill a form in Engish stating everything and was told later did i want to persue the incident ,as we were going home next day i said forget about as the holiday rep agreed .

6 months later i had a summons from italy on behalf of this baffon for 4,000 euros, i went to my bank who i had travel insurance cover with ,who indtructed a lawyer for sports claims to deal with it, in the end they agreed it was not my fault, but would pay as the cost to fight it would not be worth it??? it turned out a year later that this chap was a regular claimer. what a s--t society life is today ./!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                        Trouble is, cameras such as Go-Pro and Drift start at £100 each;
                        Maplins do reasonably good dash-cams for considerably less than that. I have two of them in the 4x4, one facing forward, one back. They're easy enough to swap around between vehicles - I put one of them in the van for the trip to Shepton for example.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                        X