Bryan Wade Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Wade Pics.

Here's a few Bryan Wade pics I dug out to post. On the first he is shown riding a Griffon during his reign as British 250cc Scrambles Champion, and the second is from a meeting in the USA, demonstrating his trademark 'wildman' style! This is very much in evidence in the third pic too, taken during a testing session for the early Griffons.

As always, if any viewers can offer any further background or information regarding these pics, it would be marvellous to hear more about them!

Hope everyone enjoys seeing them.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/09/2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    Here's a few Bryan Wade pics I dug out to post. On the first he is shown riding a Griffon during his reign as British 250cc Scrambles Champion, and the second is from a meeting in the USA, demonstrating his trademark 'wildman' style! This is very much in evidence in the third pic too, taken during a testing session for the early Griffons.

As always, if any viewers can offer any further background or information regarding these pics, it would be marvellous to hear more about them!

Hope everyone enjoys seeing them.

Brian.
    Hi Brian,

The middle picture of Wade was taken at West Lake Village CA, a Hollywood movie set in 1968. Wade is on one of the prototypes similar to XP3/1, which was also pictured in the same Cycle World magazine article covering the Inter-Am series.

The only thing I can offer on picture 3 is that Wade is wearing his Nicholson Motors jersey that he brought back home with him from the states.

Me being just twelve years old at the time, The "Wild Man" became my hero after seeing this picture of him doing his crossed up leap at West Lake Village.

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Bryan Wade pics etc.

Hiya Kenny,

Many thanks for the interesting background info, as always.

I thought you'd like these as I know you're a big Bryan Wade fan from way back! Amazing riding style eh, and another great champion from the story of Greeves.

Seeing pictures of him as a young lad, often showing that typical crossed-up leap/all action style certainly inspired me too! I actually had a pair of those yellow leather gloves he's wearing in the first pic (with the the sewn-on rubber strips for knuckle protection) as a teenager, my very first 'proper' motorcycle gloves. The were called 'Big John' gloves as I recall-does anyone remember them?! Wish I still had them now....

I also really liked his distinctive helmet design-so simple, yet so effective and memorable. Amazing what you can achieve with a bit of black tape isn't it!

Here's a pic I 'pinched' from his website (see thread here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=1981), showing BW's novel way of tackling a tricky river crossing on one of his trail riding tours in Borneo...! Some things never change eh...?!

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/09/2010, 10:53 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Anyone know where Bryan Wade is now? Be nice to contact/interview him.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Borneo!!!

Colin,

Click on this link; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=1981

I reckon we should get the committee to send us on an "all expenses paid fact finding mission"...!!! I'll hold your tape recorder for you!

Brian.

Comment

Another Bryan Wade Pic.

Here's another one for you Kenny, this time on a 380 and airborne as usual!

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

Brian ,

In the last pic Bryan is on a 250 , the pic of him in the snow was taken at the presentation of the 380 to the press at Wakes Colne .

Brian , I still have a pair of the brown gloves , the rubber perished long ago but the gloves are fine .

Colin if you put Bryan Wade into Google it will come up with his site in Borneo and has contact details .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                Colin if you put Bryan Wade into Google it will come up with his site in Borneo and has contact details .

Chris
                Thanks for that, Chris.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bryan Wade

I only saw Bryan Wade riding a works Greeves at the final Berks Grand National at Bower Farm, Aldworth, near Streatley. This was riding Griffons and memorable for his wins as well as threepenny bitting (flatting) no fewer than 5 front wheels. These featured the high-tensile steel rims. I guess that kept the wheel builder busy on Monday.

He was never quite as flamboyant riding Suzukis and the other makes

Phil

Comment

Bryan Wade pics, and Gloves!

Brian ,

In the last pic Bryan is on a 250 , the pic of him in the snow was taken at the presentation of the 380 to the press at Wakes Colne .

Brian , I still have a pair of the brown gloves , the rubber perished long ago but the gloves are fine .

Chris
                    Hi Chris!

Many thanks for correcting me and putting the record straight. To be honest I was going by the caption in the old publication that I nicked it from... Oops!!! Thanks also for the interesting additional info on the other BW pics.

Yes, those glove were great, and pretty much all that was about back then. A company in the USA called Metro Racing does something similar these days, but they aren't quite the same thing, know what I mean....?! Have a look here; https://metroracing.com/products_cat.php?c=38

All the best,

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/11/2010, 07:32 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

My old 380 GPWM2 could possibly have been ridden by Mr Wade at some point. Interestingly, it has a real 'flat' in the front wheel rim!
                      I have never been able to find out much about as the factory did not seem to preserve those records. Never mind!

Comment

Rob ,

GPWM2 was one of the two 380 bikes prepared for Vic Allan to ride in the 1970 GP series , the other was GPWM1 .

GPWM2 & 3 were 250's prepared for Bryan Wade to contest the 1970 250 GP series .

I have a vague recollection of WM2 being used by Dick Clayton .

The reason for the lack of records is that at the time no one thought that people would be interested thirty/forty years later .

Chris

Comment

Vic Allan's 1970 GP 380's.

Chris, Rob,

Could this pic be of one of that very pair of bikes? According to the info I have (which could easily be wrong!) it's of Vic Allan on a 380 at the 1970 Swedish 500 GP. I posted it earlier as part of the Dr Gordon Blair thread.

Looking at the height of that jump Rob, it might explain that flat in your wheel rim...!

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/11/2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Rob ,

GPWM2 was one of the two 380 bikes prepared for Vic Allan to ride in the 1970 GP series , the other was GPWM1 .

GPWM2 & 3 were 250's prepared for Bryan Wade to contest the 1970 250 GP series .

I have a vague recollection of WM2 being used by Dick Clayton .

The reason for the lack of records is that at the time no one thought that people would be interested thirty/forty years later .

Chris
                            Hey Chris / Rob,

When Andrew King stayed with me many years ago, he wrote down most of the factory works machines by memory for me! I think I remember him saying something about a twin port 250???

What extras went into the works bikes? How did Vic do in the G/P's?

All fascinating stuff to me!

Thanks,
                            Kenny

Comment

More interest on the iconic West Lake Village BW shot

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                              Hi Brian,

The middle picture of Wade was taken at West Lake Village CA, a Hollywood movie set in 1968. Wade is on one of the prototypes similar to XP3/1, which was also pictured in the same Cycle World magazine article covering the Inter-Am series.

The only thing I can offer on picture 3 is that Wade is wearing his Nicholson Motors jersey that he brought back home with him from the states.

Me being just twelve years old at the time, The "Wild Man" became my hero after seeing this picture of him doing his crossed up leap at West Lake Village.

Kenny Sykes
                              if you look in the crowd opposite there is a guy with a camera .... Kenny has that picture so effectively a front and a back view of that famous leap....... cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X