How to tell trials bike from road bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell trials bike from road bike

Hello wonder if one of you knowledgeable chaps can help.
    What are the differences between road and trials bikes in 1959.

I am aware engines will be different but are the frames different or the forks or the engine mounting plates.
    The reason I ask is that I wanted to know if it possible to convert a 25DB
    To trials spec ?
    Thanks
    Steve

Quite a few differences, to name a few
    Different fork angle
    Larger loop on forks
    Trials bike has bracing tube from top tube to swinging arm mounting area on sub frame (road bike uses tool box as a structural part of frame)
    There are other detail differences like front mudguard mountings, chain guard & wider swinging arm.
    You would do best to find a genuine trials frame. The frame numbers can be checked against the 'Identify' tread on main web site. If in doubt state frame number on here and someone will tell you what it is. Shame to 'butcher' a 25DB

Comment

The roadster also has the pillion footrest hangers on the rear sub frame, apart from which the 2T engine is unsuitable for trials. To change to a 32A engine would require different engine plates. Then there is the exhaust, tank, seat, rebuilding the wheels with appropriate rims.... it goes on.

I agree with John, it is never worth it. You are best off sourcing a genuine trials bike. There are plenty to be had, as they come up all the time.

Ian

Comment

Roadster differences from trials bikes

Mine is a 1959 model Roadster but in
        The book Greeves the complete story by Colin Soarrow he states
        on page 70 "utilising the now proven frame of the competition bikes,
        The two roadsters both offered 250 cc performance"
        That suggests that in 1959 the frames were the same .the bracing tube is bolted on so I would t "butcher" a roadster to fit one.
        I will be out at the next vmcc Taverners Section meeting with my protractor to measure steering angles !!!
        Steve

Comment

Not sure if you are going to restore it as a road bike or trials/scrambler.
          If latter you will need to change the bottom fork link for one with a larger loop to enable a 21" front wheel to be fitted. The roadster one (as fitted) is 19" so there wont be enough clearance. Re "That suggests that in 1959 the frames were the same" yes in theory comp & road frames were the same basic design but there were differences.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/04/2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X