SORN Insurance threat from EU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORN Insurance threat from EU

Looks like more crap legislation from the EU, the sooner we are out the better, but it may be too late to stop this.
    Attached Files

This is an ongoing problem that has been featured on all sorts of forums and in magazines for about a year. We are informed that the several British authorities are dealing with the problem, but we are not seeing much in the way of proof of their progress. Certainly the ACU and the 4 wheel MSA have published explanations of the problem, but we have to wait.
    My fear is that even if and when we leave the EU, this problem will continue as a millstone round the necks of motor and motorcycle sport. And all you lot with ride-on mowers! Just hope that the National Association of Ride-on Mower Owners read this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
      a millstone round the necks of motor and motorcycle sport.
      I dont think its will be too much of a problem with motor sport as these events have to have third party insurance anyway, and of course many of the vehicles are not road registered anyway so wont show up on the system as SORN'd. It will hit the collector & hoarder though. Museums should be OK, as again they will have a third party insurance in place

Comment

You have got it wrong John. The idea of this legislation is that the vehicles (everything that is powered) will have continuous 3rd Party Insurance, so they will need to be covered regardless of use in competitions, where they are only covered by the event insurance when actually competing. Obviously, Museums and smaller collectors will be able to negotiate block policies, but unregistered scramble, trials, grassers etc. as well as race cars will, under this draconian legislation, need to have cover, just incase you knock a Latvian farm worker off a ladder in a barn!.

Comment

Will be a bit difficult to enforce with vehicles that are not on the DVLA database & non road vehicles like lawn mowers. But presumably if this does come into force all new off road vehicles, & machinery like lawn mowers, will be have to be registered on a database at point of sale

Comment

Yes, nobody seems to have covered any of the procure likely for existing machines, other than saying that if you are caught with a bike / car /tractor / WHY, then there will be large fines. I letter I saw intimated that HMRC (or whoever) could attend a race meeting and demand to see the Insurance Cert for any vehicle. Where that leaves the home constructor who may not have a VIN or frame serial number, I have no idea. The main thing to remember is that this is not to do with SORNed vehicles alone. but being "on record", they would be the first targets.

Comment

Working...
            X