Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 1960

Hi to all
    Iam the owner of a 1960 greeves that i have rebuilt over the last couple of years. The bike was originally sold to me as a scottish but i have since found out it is a hawkstone . The bike is now somewhat competitive as i have had some good results but was there may differences betwewn the the two frames other than the footrests and rear shock mounts. When i have finish my membership form i will post some pics of the bike to
    Regards
    Liam

Hi Liam, welcome to the forum. Lots of enthusiastic Greeves knowledge and help on here. You're doing the right thing joining the GRA - plan to make the annual gathering in April if you can.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin
      Thank for the reply. I though this would be the best place. I will hopefully make the april gathering but it will be a long drive from buxton in derbyshire. Also the frame number for the bike is 60/3480 if anyone has owned it or knows anything about it

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Robinson View Post
        Hi Colin
        Thank for the reply. I though this would be the best place. I will hopefully make the april gathering but it will be a long drive from buxton in derbyshire. Also the frame number for the bike is 60/3480 if anyone has owned it or knows anything about it
        Hi Liam, not previously on the survivors list so not been on eBay etc in the past few years. It is indeed a 1960 24SCS

Comment

Hi john
          I found the bike in a friends shed around 5 years ago. He had bought the bike around 10 years before that. It was sold to him as an anglian as it has got an anglian tank on it so it is a real mix of parts.

Comment

John's spot on, that number is a 1960 24SCS Hawkstone.

It does appear in the factory dispatch record which is one hurdle surmounted should you decide to register it.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi colin
              Its already road registered on a age related plate 550 uyn but it is registered as a greeves 250 no model but more info on the bike would be great. Does it say who it was original dispatched to
              Last edited by Liam Robinson; 27/11/2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

You're a GRA member, so if you email me on colinsparrow@btinternet.com I can let you have the info for free.

I can't PM you on here until you're upgraded.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Action Needed!

Originally posted by Liam Robinson View Post
                  Hi to all
                  Iam the owner of a 1960 greeves that i have rebuilt over the last couple of years. The bike was originally sold to me as a scottish but i have since found out it is a hawkstone . The bike is now somewhat competitive as i have had some good results but was there may differences betwewn the the two frames other than the footrests and rear shock mounts. When i have finish my membership form i will post some pics of the bike to
                  Regards
                  Liam
                  Hi Liam,
                  You will need to send me that form!
                  Best regards
                  AndyB
                  (Membership Secretary)

Comment

Hi Andrew
                    Form emailed and subs sent pics to follow
                    Regards
                    Liam

Comment

Thanks Liam,

All OK!

AndyB

Comment

Hi
                        Thanks to every1 for the information on the bike its interesting to see that the bike originally sold to Lawton and Wilson in Southampton so the bike has traveled far. Is it common for scramblers and trials frame to get mixed up and does it really matter? Ive add a photo of the bike as my avatar as i cannot add photos yet
                        Regards
                        Liam

Comment

All sorts of weird and wonderful things seem to happen to Greeves frames over the years; let's face it many of them have been around for fifty years or so and they're easy to work on.

It depends how interested you are in originality, there are differences between the frames of the various model, some greater than others. I've seen trials bikes which have become roadsters and vice versa. It doesn't really matter, one type is not substantially more valuable than another thank goodness.

Apart from racers though, they do tend to be worth more and there's a number of fakes about. Buyer beware!

What is an absolute no-no is altering, obscuring or removing frame numbers. Dreaming up a frame number from nowhere can make obtaining an age-related number difficult and recovering an original number impossible. Spare a thought for the future owner who might want to bring the bike back to original specification. In the long run we're all only custodians.
                          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 01/12/2017, 09:17 AM.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi colin
                            Not to bothered about originality as the bikes a real mix of parts. Barrel from a tgs, full width bhc hubs, norton fork etc. I just built it as i liked or could get parts i was just intrested in the framed differences but as i love the bike so it doesnt really matter
                            Regards
                            Liam

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                              All sorts of weird and wonderful things seem to happen to Greeves frames over the years; let's face it many of them have been around for fifty years or so and they're easy to work on.

It depends how interested you are in originality, there are differences between the frames of the various model, some greater than others. I've seen trials bikes which have become roadsters and vice versa. It doesn't really matter, one type is not substantially more valuable than another thank goodness.

Apart from racers though, they do tend to be worth more and there's a number of fakes about. Buyer beware!

What is an absolute no-no is altering, obscuring or removing frame numbers. Dreaming up a frame number from nowhere can make obtaining an age-related number difficult and recovering an original number impossible. Spare a thought for the future owner who might want to bring the bike back to original specification. In the long run we're all only custodians.

Maybe we need to think of a generic term for a Greeves constructed from many different sources - Grybrid, Grixup, Grallsorts. etc

Comment

Working...
                              X