1962 tes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 tes

I got this Greeves with an Mot. a bag of points and jets and six letters to several owners from the 1970s to 2004, From Greeves experts M/c news and others all giving allmost the same advice about jets and ignition. I wanted to ride it and fix it up a bit at a time . First to go was the chip board foam and green plastic seat held on with wood scews !!
    Next I found who ever fitted the square Greeves barrel did not bother to fit a longer con rod to give you any compression and the 1. 1/16 Amal bolted dirrect onto the barrel was at such steep angle it flooded all the time.(is there any reason why either of these things would be done ????) With a new longer rod and an inlet manifold that put the carb almost upright I had Greeves that was a joy to ride.
    If anyone wants to know I will make time to tell you why this bike came with so many sets of points.

Thanks for your interesting post John.

I (for one!) would really enjoy hearing more about your bike, the more posts the merrier I say! It looks great in your avatar pic by the way. Have you got any more pics you could post? Be great to see them!

From what I've heard, conrods being too short can be a common 'find' with some bikes fitted with alloy barrels...! I remember John Fryatt mentioning it in a magazine article from years ago, about a bike he was restoring at the time. And I bet that 'seat' (!) was probably more comfortable than a Dunlop rubber trials saddle....good job we ride 'em standing up eh...!!!

Has anyone else got any interesting stories about their bikes/rebuilds/problems encountered (and hopefully solved!) that they'd like to post and share with everyone? It'd be great to hear about them all!

To start a new thread, just find the right sub forum to put it in (don't worry if you go wrong-we can always move it for you), click on the 'New Thread' icon at the top of the page on the left, give it a title, and then away you go!

And please don't worry about speelling and grammorr-we don't (eh Rob !!!) It's all part of the fun, after all!

So...why did it come with all those points then John?!

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/05/2010, 05:12 PM.

Comment

T.E.S. Points

Sorry about the delay in replying but I am a bit embarressed about how long it took me to spot this problem. If I did 30 miles without re setting the points I was lucky. With a smooth lubricted cam 2 new sets of points soon had worn down followers and like some that came with the bike had started to break.
      " What is that" said Simon as I put the cam on Nametab,s counter a Villiers cam I said ? ? No that is a round thing with a flat on the side well made but it is stiil just a D shape. Why would anyone fit that ??? With a new cam fitted I don,t remember the last time I did the points. I am pleased that with help I have made this a better bike and not just sold it on as seems to have happened it in the past.

Comment

Not at all John, and I know just what you mean with tracking down those kind of faults! I once struggled with an alternator (on a 125 trailbike) that wasn't charging.....until I realised that although it 'fitted' ok, the rotor magnets where in totally the wrong position in relation to the stator! The stator was from a similar 'road' engine and completely different to the 'right' one I eventually found and fitted!!!

Isn't it great that we have so many helpful and knowledgable people to call on when we get stuck! I think it's nice that your bike has the home it deserves and is in good hands now. It's really satisfying to put 'em right isn't it!

A really handy tip that John and it may save someone a lot of hassle getting to the bottom of if they have a similar problem-nice one!

Brian.

Comment

TES Points Cam/Con Rod.

Hi John, this may help..........

There are 2 types of ignition cam about, the older 'egg' shaped cam that did wear points arms, (mine in 1970 was always doing this), and the more common now 'competition' type cam which is like a deformed 'D' shape.

Con rods...originally the 9E was upgraded to the 31A for light car use by creating a wider bore barrel but retaining the original length rod. These early 31A and the 'scrambles' 33A barrels are easily spotted by the thin flange at the base. The later 32A and 34A barrels were about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thicker at the base. (Just like BSA A.10s! - typical British engineering practise then). These needed a longer rod. HOWEVER.......several aftermarket manufacturers made 250cc conversions, one even made a 350cc job that went onto Cheetahs. Many of these AJAX, Vale Onslow, Cross, would use the shorter rod. As usual, over time many parts have become mixed up.
          Interestingly one school of thought was that with a lower comp ratio, trials 'plonking' was easier, as some of the Alloy Cylinders, if of high comp ratio or with squish effect, fed with a 389 AMAL could be a bit 'peaky'.

Too technical for me....If it starts that's good enough!

Peter R.

Comment

TES Points Cam/Con Rod.

Thanks Peter, great post and really useful and interesting info.

Nice one!

Brian.

Comment

Greeves Alloy Barrel - downdraught angle.

Hi John (again).

After last night, I fought my way into my workshop and dug out the barrel/carbs/bits off my 24TE. You must be missing the steel manifold if the angle is too steep. Other barrels had a 'competition' alloy manifold, (often used on Kart engines)..........AND TO ALL VIEWING.....Karts and Upton engines are often a great source of spares!
              Anyway, back to it, I had a 389 Amal on mine for a while, to say it drank petrol was an understatement! This was fine on a scrambles engine, and even acceptable on a road based engine. I worked 3 miles away at Drayton Manor Park for a while, I used my Greeves to get there, replacing the final drive sprockets for those from a road bike. Trying to slow down a geared up Trials bike from 70 - 80 mph on tin hubs was great fun!
              I changed the carb for a 376 on TGS jetting, this worked fine. Later I put a S.25 Villiers carb on, this was even better, giving me an extra day or two of use on the gallon or so of petroil in the tank.

Any help?

Peter R.

Comment

Trying to slow down a geared up Trials bike from 70 - 80 mph on tin hubs was great fun! (quote.)

............... !!!!!

Bet that wore a few holes in your plimsoles Peter....!

Brian.

Comment

Thank's for all the feed back peter. I am told that what I have now fitted is a Villiers super sport cam ? whatever it works well. As I said a few posts back up a manifold has now put the carb allmost upright and it starts easy and acceleration is ok. It is not happy if I try and run at a steady speed say 30. or 40. on the flat it gets lumpy and seems to 4 stroke moving the needle makes no difference. I am not sure whether to try a 20 pilot jet rather than the 25 that I was told was ok for the 1.1/16 376 or try fitting the 1.1/8 389 I have just to see what it goes like??

Comment

Two years ago I visited Simon at Nametab, and he built up a great 9E engine for me. This year I came back looking for more power/capacity. I had read about 250/350 conversions, but believe they are not common. Which ones are the most effective power wise, and still legal pre65? Does anyone out there have one/know of any which might be available? There was a 350 conversion on Ebay a few days ago, I got 1 bid in before my battery went flat, so missed out. I'd sure like to get on to the winning bidder, maybe he wants a quick (modest) profit.
                    I've got about 6 weeks left here, and a large suitcase to take back, preferably not empty.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X