Villiers 9E Super Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 9E Super Sports

Has anybody got any experience of the Villiers 9E Super Sports engine as I am just rebuilding one.Fortunately it looks like somebody has rebuilt it and not used it as everything seems ok.Its got the amal carb and all the engraved and stamped parts as in the Villiers replacement parts book.I wondered what its performance was like as apart from a big carb it doesn,t have a full flywheel or crankcase stuffers.I,ve not checked the compression ratio yet but it doesn,t seem that high.All its missing is the ignition cam.I wondered if the standard cam would be ok.?

Villiers 9E Super Sports

Stuart. This would be a 9E Super Sports Kart engine suffix 246D fitted with an Amal 389 carb & available between 1955 & 1967. I have no other info but maybe a look at Rob Carrick's Villiers - Everybody's Engine may reveal specification.
    Roy Bacon's book Villiers Singles & Twins lists standard & comp specs for the 9E
    Standard; Comp ratio 7.25:1 Power 8.4 bhp & 4000 rpm
    Competition: Comp ratio 8.25:1 Power 9.3 bhp @ 4300 rpm

Not sure though if this is applicable to the Super Sports Kart engine as the above are both fitted with the Villiers S25/1 carb
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/12/2011, 11:31 AM. Reason: Info from Bacon's book added

Comment

Stuart,

I am just finishing the rebuild of a 246D engine for my 1962 classic Kart. Mine has had some work done on the ports so should be quite a bit quicker than a standard 9E. What is yours going into? If you want the best performance I would fit the sports cam (M2277/1E).

Has your piston got cut-outs in the skirt that match the transfer ports and has the carb got a tube running from the side of the float chamber to the bottom of the main jet?.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Stuart. This would be a 9E Super Sports Kart engine suffix 246D fitted with an Amal 389 carb & available between 1955 & 1967. I have no other info but maybe a look at Rob Carrick's Villiers - Everybody's Engine may reveal specification.
        Roy Bacon's book Villiers Singles & Twins lists standard & comp specs for the 9E
        Standard; Comp ratio 7.25:1 Power 8.4 bhp & 4000 rpm
        Competition: Comp ratio 8.25:1 Power 9.3 bhp @ 4300 rpm

Not sure though if this is applicable to the Super Sports Kart engine as the above are both fitted with the Villiers S25/1 carb
        According to the Villiers book it is 11.8 to 1 compression ratio but mine has a 2L head fitted at the moment.The carb is 1 1/8 inch.Thats bigger than most British 500cc bikes! Its not an engine that I have really heard of unlike the Star Maker.The gearbox outer has an extra plate fitted at the selector shaft end.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Magee View Post
          Stuart,

I am just finishing the rebuild of a 246D engine for my 1962 classic Kart. Mine has had some work done on the ports so should be quite a bit quicker than a standard 9E. What is yours going into? If you want the best performance I would fit the sports cam (M2277/1E).

Has your piston got cut-outs in the skirt that match the transfer ports and has the carb got a tube running from the side of the float chamber to the bottom of the main jet?.

Brian.
          My piston hasn,t any cut outs but has the L shaped top ring (Dykes ?).How do you identify the sports ignition cam? I haven,t stripped the carb yet.I think I,ll use a lower C/R and fit it in my 20D

Comment

The sports cam has a raised ring on one end which I believe goes to the outside. If you are using the L/C head I would have thought the standard cam would be more suitable.

Brian

Comment

The sports cam has a raised ring on one end which I believe goes to the outside. If you are using the L/C head I would have thought the standard cam would be more suitable.

Brian
              Thats the head that was fitted but I,ll look through my spares and see what other heads that I haveI,ll look at any cams as well.Thanks for the info

Comment

Brian
                I,ve found an original sports cam with the raised ring and a new repro? with the same profile and no raised ring.Apparently the super sports gave 15bhp.I imagine that full flywheels and crankcase stuffers etc would be needed to raise the bhp any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                  .Apparently the super sports gave 15bhp.I imagine that full flywheels and crankcase stuffers etc would be needed to raise the bhp any further.
                  You can get more power by just porting. If you get hold of 'Villiers Singles Improvements Handbook' by Carrick & Woods it has a section on port timing suitable for road use. Of course if you are racing, then Alpha crank and stuffers are the way to go.

Brian.

Comment

You can get more power by just porting. If you get hold of 'Villiers Singles Improvements Handbook' by Carrick & Woods it has a section on port timing suitable for road use. Of course if you are racing, then Alpha crank and stuffers are the way to go.

Brian.
                    I,ve got the book but not the ability to make use of it fully so I,ll stick to standard.The ignition cam with the raised ring has a direction arrow stamped into the opposite end which means that the raised ring goes to the inside.Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry to go off track a little, but what is the difference in choke size between a 22/1, 25/1 and a 25/6 carburettor? Is the first number the size? I've looked through my Villiers singles & twins, and though sizes are given for amal carbs, not Villiers. I wonder, because I have been using an Amal mk1 in both 628 and 932 on my 7E, the larger size for dirt track - helps it rev out more, though I'm glad I don't have a rev counter, to see how high!
                      If the Kart engine uses an amal 1 1/2", then I'm in the ball park.
                      Mike

Comment

Villiers carb size

Yes first number is size in mm

Comment

I'm just surprised classic motorcycles - or at least post50 appear to use mostly imperial measurements for chassis components but metric for engine measurements. I thought Briutish bikes of that era would be all imperial.
                          Mike

Comment

Mike, we have never used Imperial (Cu inch) measurement for engine size in the UK. Back in the early part of the last century, we used a strange Horsepower calculation based on the bore size. As this led to taxation by HP calculation, we were left with narrow bore/long stroke engines for most of our production vehicles. Enlightenment was a long time coming, but we have never used anything but metric for quoted engine sizes for normal vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                              Mike, we have never used Imperial (Cu inch) measurement for engine size in the UK. Back in the early part of the last century, we used a strange Horsepower calculation based on the bore size. As this led to taxation by HP calculation, we were left with narrow bore/long stroke engines for most of our production vehicles. Enlightenment was a long time coming, but we have never used anything but metric for quoted engine sizes for normal vehicles.
                              Its always puzzled me why the bore is in mm and a rebore is + .010 inches.another one is British motorcles when 99.9% are English.

Comment

Working...
                              X