Twanger's Corner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that is interesting, Jeff.
    Does he also do repairs/renovations? I have a 1960's Harmony Sovereign jumbo acoustic which has had a hard life (not down to me, I hasten to add).
    It was a good instrument in its day, but not this one in its present condition.
    What might it cost me for an appraisal, please?
    JR

Comment

Hi John,
      I will ask him when I see him (I'm currently working nights so not sure when our paths will cross again) but in the meantime perhaps you could PM me some photos that I could show him to give him some idea of what would be involved?

Comment

Thanks Jeff.
        Have sent you a PM.
        John

Comment

Where art meets craftsmanship...and then some!

Originally posted by Jeff Morgan View Post
          As a relative newcomer to the GRA I had no idea there was such a thing as Twangers Corner, but have read through the thread with interest! My step son makes and plays guitars, the house is full of them, he has a channel on you tube, (search George Heatley), but for the technically minded this video of him building then playing an acoustic is pretty good...........
          A video demonstrating some of the processes used to make a guitar by hand.Hundreds of hours go into meticulously crafting all the individual parts of a guita...

shame I can't get him interested in motorcycles though!
          Hi Jeff,

So pleased you've enjoyed 'Twanger's Corner', and thank you so much for sharing that wonderful video and giving us a taste of George's superb woodworking skills and wonderful musicianship. You must be very proud of him.

I think it's safe to say that if anyone can resurect your old Harmony Jonah, George is the man!! I'm delighted that this little thread has put you guys together (hopefully!) and that it has garnered some interest again.

Nice one guys!

Brian.

Comment

Who needs four fingers anyway......!!

Originally posted by Punchy View Post
            Thanks for the links Brian that guy is something else have recently purchased a soprano kala for 49 notes that sounded very sweet in the shop until fingersanfumbs got it home.
            Pleased to hear you're keen on this delightful little instrument too! Looks like I'm the 1st member to sign up for your syndrome support group.

Unfortunately practise has took a bit of a back seat temporarily due losing part of my little left pinkie having a go at Speedway

Saw the Uke orchestra of gt Britain last week they were good entertainment too, didn't think 2 hours of Ukulele playing could sound so good but it did

Rob
            Hiya Rob!

Great to hear from you mate, and so pleased to hear that you have got yourself a Uke!!

Sorry to hear about the pinky though......OUCH!!

Mind you, Django Reinhardt only really had two useable fingers afer the fire that damaged his left hand so badly (at the height of his career....see pic attached) and look what he could do with 'em after he had a bit of a rethink.....simply amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhTpgicdx4

Keep on plucking Rob, and have loads of fun with your new squeeze mate!

Brian.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/10/2016, 06:46 PM. Reason: Pic and link added.

Comment

More 'Band Aid' than 'Live Aid'......

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
              That would be great Brian ,we will have a full Paramedic in attendance to deal with potential stroke victims, and an officer for Elf and Safety on hand as well!! no sleeping through the talks or AGM either ! .

Dancing will be allowed if wheel chairs don't take up all the room as well, revive the living dead is a good idea Mate grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
              Hiya Dicky!

....you crack me up mate!!

Brian.

Comment

More Banjos...!!

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                Great pictures and Links, thanks Brian, and good to see the Twangers' Corner brought back to life ................ as it should be!
                For my part, I have only gone and spent my scramble-bike money on a couple of really tasty banjos ................ neither of which I can play, of course. Doubtless, the Greeves Championship boys will be relieved, though, that their mobile chicane has probably spent himself out of the picture (and their hair) at long last (?)
                Coincidentally, another of our fraternity, who lives not a million miles from yours truly, has recently invested in a uke, so a little bird tells me. Doubtless he'll be fascinated to view your YouTube links.
                Hi Jonah,

So glad you enjoyed seeing the pics and links mate, nice one!

I'd really love to see some pics of your banjos, if at all possible, especially that rather special one you mentioned.....it sounds like a real honey from how you describe it.

I have a couple of other recenty completed little projects that I may add to this thread in due course for the entertainment of the twangers out there.....watch this space guys....

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/10/2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Here's the "special" one, Brian ........... I hope?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes indeed, looks special to me too! When something is as nicely put together as that, with materials of that quality, with all that skill, passion and care you just know it's going to sound pretty special as well!

Very nice John, and loads of character too. Thanks for sharing the pics mate.

In fact I think the above equally appiles to the excellent video posted earlier by Jeff of his step son George and his beautiful acoustic guitars. I was seriously impressed!!! Easily some of the nicest acoustics I've ever seen (and very nicely played too!), and with some very interesting and innovative design elements.

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for the endorsement, Brian. It was the workmanship as well as the tonal response that "sold" the instrument to me, although it'll be some time (and practice) before muggins here can do it justice! Have to say I'm just as impressed, too, with Jeff and George's contribution to the Corner, which is what has encouraged me to try to take the Harmony project forward in their good hands.
                      Take care, Brian, but take it!
                      JR

Comment

Bluegrass virtuosity......

Nice one John, and here's a little something to hopefuly make your day.....it did me when I first saw it. I think this one's a bit special.....

Become a fan! https://sleepyman.com/fanclub9 year old banjo boy Jonny Mizzone and his brothers Tommy 13 on guitar, and Robbie 12 on fiddle perform "Flint Hi...

...and here's the old classic, played with all the right notes in all the right order....!!

Become a fan! https://sleepyman.com/fanclubThe boys practice a version of Eric Weissberg's "Dueling Banjos" in the Bedroom - Sleepy Man Banjo Boys - 9 Year...

Wonderful stuff!!!!

Brian.
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/10/2016, 09:56 AM. Reason: Additional link added.

Comment

Even nicer, Brian. How I wish I had started a good few years earlier ....... like about 65!

Comment

In Awe

Hi Brian an thanks for he encouragement and link to D Reinhardt , must have been b....y tough for him to get those fingers working like he did especially seeing how the fire had got the back of his hand and tightened his skin ...!

Remember S Grapelli from my younger days but watching the footage of django saw that he died in 53, 5 years afore I made an appearance, that's some talent to adapt the way he did unbelievable, can see why musicians are in admiration of him.

Also impressive watching the clip of Jeffs son in law another craftsman and a lovely sounding guitar too

Good to see Jonah is keen to get the Harmony repaired , Perhaps he'll post a little shot of his uke banjo that I'm trying to encourage him to give an airing

Cheers Brian off to little room to to develop those butterfly fingers
                            Punchy 336

Comment

Sleepy man

Just changed my mind after watching those 2 clips you attached for Jonah relaxing on the sofa instead
                              Punchy 336

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Rob. Have just retrieved the uke from the loft but it seems to have acquired about a third of an inch of "action" since it's been up there. Don't think I can take enough off of the bridge height to compensate for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X