New book: Shrubland Park Scrambles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New book: Shrubland Park Scrambles

The recent conducted Walk around the old Shrubland Park scramble circuit (August 16th 2015) was accompanied by the release of a new illustrated book by Dennis Boatwright, telling the story of this iconic venue for scrambling in the period 1947 to 1965. It is a lavishly illustrated soft-back publication and gives a comprehensive record of National and International events run at the venue, and details the Greeves successes of the era. I understand that Colin may be reviewing the book in a future issue of Leading Link. Meanwhile, it is available from Dennis Boatwright by post for the modest price of £15 plus post and packing. I can PM address details if you need them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 22/08/2015, 09:44 PM.

The golden era

Hi john, i would be interested if you could let me know the details....thanks...
    Looks like a great read, check out the size of the crowd in the lower section of pic two...... makes our modern day events look a bit pathetic in the spectator department.....thanks for posting .....

Comment

Info sent just now by PM, Dave.
      Yes, they were exciting times for Suffolk scrambles enthusiasts. Crowds upward of 20,000 used to attend the Shrublands events.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 22/08/2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

A good read

Pleased to say I attended the walk round and it was really informative, helped by photos placed at certain points round the walk identify those parts of the track, which added to what it must have been like.

The enormity and length of the start straight was unbelievable, we'd probably be able to fit a course out on that alone.

Also purchased the book and a very interesting read especially for one like myself who wasn't born in the early days and was unfortunately too young to be taken when it sadly finished in the mid 60's.

God I admire those boys, bugger all suspension aswell as heavy iron!
        Punchy
        Punchy 336

Comment

Working...
        X