ISDT Greeves and Steve Mcqueen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISDT Greeves and Steve Mcqueen

Came across this photo and wondered what Greeves that was in the background - is it a works bike?
    Attached Files

1964 ISDT at Erfurt in East Germany.

121 is Bryan Sharp's bike. 137 is Triss Sharp's bike.

They were both in the British Vase "A" Team on works bikes.

Both took Gold Medals.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Triss Sharp's was DOO93B & Bryan Sharp's DOO95B neither are shown live on DVLA so are not known to exist.
      In the same event, Mary Driver rode DOO94B not on DVLA
      Peter Stirland DOO96B frame No 24IN165 last taxed expired 7/84
      and Frits Selling DOO97B bike exists abroad since 11/96

The frame numbers of the other bikes are probably 24IN161 to 164 (maybe Colin can confirm)

UPDATE: DOO94B surfaced in Kent as a barn find from a deceased owner in May 2021 (see pic)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/05/2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Triss Sharp's was DOO93B & Bryan Sharp's DOO95B neither are shown live on DVLA so are not known to exist.
        In the same event, Mary Driver rode DOO94B not on DVLA
        Peter Stirland DOO96B frame No 24IN165 last taxed expired 7/84
        and Frits Selling DOO97B bike exists abroad since 11/96

The frame numbers of the other bikes are probably 24IN161 to 164 (maybe Colin can confirm)
        Thanks for the info - shame they are not on DVLA. Does this mean that they could still be sitting in a shed or the frames being used elsewhere??

Comment

I'm guessing the exact whereabouts of all these machines remains unknown? Which is a shame... I am looking at retracing the route of the '64 ISDT and it would be nice to see one of the bikes used.

Comment

Ian, Sorry I have no further info on these bikes. DOO97B looks to be the only known survivor but I dont know who the owner is.

Comment

In the video On Any Sunday he is seen riding a 360 Challenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
                In the video On Any Sunday he is seen riding a 360 Challenger.
                Err....no, he isn't. In the dunes sequence of the film it is American AMA flat track racing legend Mert Lawill who is riding the Challenger, which was rebadged as a Harley Davidson due to his contractual obligations with them. Steve McQueen and Malcom Smith both rode Husqvarnas. See post 4 of this thread which I posted back in 2010 for more on that topic, along with some pics....https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...greeves-on-dvd

There IS however a pic of Steve McQueen riding a Greeves Challenger (actually an ex US Team ISDT International) when he tested one for a magazine article he did for the American 'Popular Science' magazine back in the day. There is more here on another of my old threads from 2010, along with some excellent info kindly contributed by Kenny Sykes....

I'll repost the pic below....

Brian.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Nice to see a post from you Brian. Your input has been missed!

Cheers,

David.

Comment

Ian - I could have some info on the '64 ISDT route.

Comment

I have found some route maps now, so it'll be interesting to see how much of it is still accessible.

Comment

Working...
                      X