Extortionate book prices on eBay and Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extortionate book prices on eBay and Amazon

Having recently found a listing on eBay for Noel Whittall's book 'A Stupid thing to do' (about his travels on his trusty model H Triumph)
    I was somewhat surprised to see it listed for £248 (yes TWO HUNDRED & FORTY EIGHT POUNDS) by Pagetimer books http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Stupid-T...gAAOSwuhhXUKqF The normal price is just £12 & is available ex stock from the VMCC shop, and they are also offering it with Noels other book 'An Alpine thing to do' for £25 inc p&p both.
    I then found this web page http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358 apparently this is something to do with Algorithmic pricing.
    Colin, looks like you need to be putting your Greeves book up on ebay for around £500

And we thought the VMCC prices were high! Total rip-off......

Comment

I bought Noel's book from him at Stafford a couple of years back. Such a nice guy. My copy is, of course, signed by the author so must be worth a small fortune.

Dunno about my book. But who knows once it's out of print, rare and sought after..?

Currently it's none of the above.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Try this web site!

Hi, I always try ABE books. A title with author will find if a particular book is available throughout all book sellers in the UK. You will be amazed at the range of prices[and book condition] for most books published over many years. starider

Comment

Just looked on ABE Books!

Just looked on ABE Books for the "said" book and the only copy that comes up is the copy as quoted above, I agree, ridiculous price! don't be put off though, ABE's prices are usually worth a look. starider

Comment

Just looked on their site for a copy of Don Morley,s Spanish Trials Bikes. Prices range from £60 to £323! £60 is doeable for me. When I bought his Classic 4 stroke trials bikes book back in 1985 at the Bealieu motor museum gift shop it was £15, and I got a copy of his Classic 2 stroke trials bikes on fleabay last year for a reasonable £40 considering that they usually go for a lot more.

Comment

The publishing/book selling world is a 'crazy' place. I was talking to a transport book seller recently about a new book that has just come onto the market. 'Bedford buses & coaches' priced at £35. (from same publisher as Collins Greeves book) Its selling on eBay for £22.79 with free p&p, when I asked the transport book seller if he could match the price he said he could not even buy them at that price He reckons that some of the eBay sellers are selling books with as little profit as £1.

Comment

ABE Books

Hi, forgot to say that ABE books are mostly secondhand older/out of print books, I have used them quite a lot and have picked up many out of print copies {NB I'm not on commission!!], just passing on info. starider

Comment

Working...
                X