Grumphs Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    Small production runs of items for a limited market are always going to be costly. Fact of life.
    Maybe Colin but these prices are extortionate for a piece of moulded rubber. £10 would be nearer the mark. I hope they are better quality than some of the repro Villiers kickstart rubbers that are being sold. Two kicks & they split!!
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/03/2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I agree about the kickstart rubbers. But let's stop highjacking Tony's thread now please...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Knee pads fitted

The knee pads are a perfect fit and are blank which is a bonus.

The phosphated planetary gear for the rear speedo drive arrived and has been fitted.
        Spinning the wheel turns the cable so all looks promising as long as the speedometer is okay.
        I have the Greeves alloy Speedometer, can anyone tell me what bracket or fixing is used to hold the speedometer in place?
        After the issue of the speedo drive not gripping in the alloy brake plate,
        it is fine on the steel of the Scottish. Swapping drives has saved any remedial work needed doing apart from the new planetary gear.

Comment

Grumph

It was a piece of about 1" x 1/8 fitted on the top yoke centre bolt. it always came loose and waggled around on my trials bike. Might to be able to get a drawing from Rob...John P.

Comment

Speedo fixing

Tony

Shouldn't be too hard to make. John is right about vibration. Nyloc nuts and loctite helps.

Phil

Comment

Chain guard

The chain guard is the last bit I think that needed making.
              After numerous cardboard templates I did manage to then do
              some of the cutting of it with a hacksaw and file (John W. would be proud of me ).
              After blunting my blade I relented and got my friend Tom
              to do his magic with a plasma cutter, stainless is hard enough in a straight line,
              never mind in curves. I won't really know the exact position until the wheel
              alignment is checked and then I can add spacers to give good wheel and chain clearance.
              Last edited by tony; 16/03/2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Looks a good'n Tony all the ones I made were in alloy, much easier to cut to shape (& lighter)

Comment

I wanted an alloy one for my TLR200 and a pal said he knew someone who had a bender, so I entrusted the bending, after putting a drawing (rough) and bend lines on the material. He bent it the wrong way and my pal was a bit non-plussed. No problem I said I have more alloy, so the job was re-done correctly.
                  After a week or so, I went to see my pal and he was full of apologies. No problems again, I have both Left and Right drive bikes and they both have new chainguards!

Comment

Grumph.

Originally posted by tony View Post
                    The tank and seat now fit and the bike has been outside with the engine running.
                    There is still a fair bit of sorting to do with cable and wire position.
                    Next job is to fit the new 44 tooth cog for the speedometer drive and sort out a rear brake.

Hi Tony,

The bike's looking great!

Nice to see it all coming together, lovely job!

Brian.

Comment

20 mph

First short ride down the road today

I made a concert effort to try and get the grumph on the road today and was rewarded with a short ride down the road.

First impressions

Both feet flat on the ground
                      Very easy to manoeuvre
                      Speedometer works after all the trouble with the drive
                      Quick off the mark
                      Front brake works
                      Rear brake doesn't - too much slack in the cable

With a bit of luck I should be able to get the MOT sorted and then tax it so I can do some more extensive testing.
                      I know the exhaust pipe needs moving as it is too close to my leg - I have a plan for that

I must say a big thanks to Phil at this stage because without his help and support I would never have got this far.
                      I might know what I want but Phil has the expertise to make it happen - thanks Phil.

Comment

Mot

MOT today

I rode the 4 miles today in bright sunshine to my friendly MOT garage. The battery was playing up so I had it running for the horns - I think twin Stebbel horns put a drain on the battery - but boy are they loud
                        First think that went wrong was the alloy stand snapped and the bike and the examiner went over together. No damage to either - I will replace the stand with a steel one.
                        The front Silverstone brake passed the brake test no problem, the rear just about - although it has been skimmed and new shoes - probably not bedded in yet. A few other small points highlighted but nothing to stop it passing

I have now sent off to the DVLA for the tax disc, the V5 had the bike listed as Bicycle so it needs to altered to historic, something that cannot be done at the post office and no local DVLA office so a bit of a wait for that.

The ride on the bike is very smooth considering the local road surfaces and the TK80s on the front and rear. I will probably need to put a smaller sprocket on the rear as it a bit quick off the mark and will probably not have a particularly high cruising speed - bit like a Villiers engine only joking John.

As soon as I have the tax disc I will be able to ride it a bit more and see what needs changing/improving. I am going to definitely re route the exhaust so it does not come close to my leg, probably through the unused tool box.

A bit of work to do on the rear brake lever and the gear change which needs to be closer to the pegs.

Comment

Progress

Well done Tony. Another Triumph Greeves, and the first trailee style. The bike is a credit to you. Well done.

Comment

Taxed and Legal

With trepidation I sent off the V5C to Swansea to have it changed to Historic and a new tax disc provided. When I originally started the process I went to the local vehicle licensing office who registered it as a Greeves 500 (funny that) - they then said it does not need to be SORN or taxed until you have rebuilt it. Something to do I believe with having been not taxed for so long . So it was with great relief that in the post today came the new tax disc.

Let the fun begin

Comment

Many congratulations and well done, Tony.

Shame you'll only need that tax disc holder for another six months or so...

Were you thinking of taking the bike to the AGM?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Agm

Unfortunately I am away when the AGM is on, but I am sure I will be able to show it to any interested parties in the future and get round to writing an article for LL. I am also motorbiking through South America in the summer for 6 weeks (not on the grumph this year ) so I will miss a few opportunities to get to other shows. I am sure Phil will add to any article as he has the in depth knowledge of how the conversion from Villiers to Triumph is achieved using the TFS frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X