This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering Bikes with DVLA

As there have been a few questions asked about how to go about re registering bikes etc with DVLA that are bought without a V5 or have no, or few documents. Owners may find the following info helpfull

1) If the bike has a registration number check it with the DVLA to see if its registered with them & has a V5 / V5c. This can be done on line at https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    If the number does not come up on DVLA web site it is worth contacting them as when the DVLA converted all the live vehicles from the old manual system as they were taxed – that was done progressively by age [newest first] from 1975 to 3/78, a V5 document would have then been issued. In the 1980s they had a policy of voiding records of vehicles that hadn’t been taxed for 5 years but they stopped doing that after a few years and the result is the collection of vehicles on the web site [all were live or had ‘activity’ reported on or after 12/83]. So I if a vehicle was only taxed with DVLA for a short while it could be one of the voided marks. They still kept a skeleton record of voids on their internal database [but not the public site] so should be able to resurrect it from the V5.

If it comes up then it has a V5 so all you need to do is send off for a new one using form V62 Application Form for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C
    there is a charge (currently £25) If the vehicle does not come up on the DVLA Vehicle Enquiry it is still worth phoning the DVLA to check as it my still be registered with them. The number may also be on another vehicle & therefore not available.

2) If there is no V5, but you have an old 'buff or green' logbook, old tax disc or MoT certificate you can claim the number back via the V765 'Application to register a vehicle under it original number'
    In theory you can do this yourself direct at a DVLA but you will need authentification by a approved vehicle owners club or other approved authenticator (a booklet is available from DVLA listing these) The GRA is authorised to do this (contact 'Druid') or you may wish to use another independent authenticator. There will be a charge for this service.
    AS FROM JUNE 2015 AN OLD TAX DISC, MoT CERT., OR ANY OTHER DOCUMENT THAT DOES NOT SHOW FRAME (VIN No) WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTABLE TO DVLA - see a later post regarding this

3) If you have no documents (as above) to prove registration number, you will probably have to settle for an 'age related' mark. Procedure is similar as for (2) above. You will need a dating certificate from a club or other approved source. Again you can do it yourself with the DVLA, you may have to submit the bike for inspection.
    It may be possible to obtain an authenticated copy of the original registration from a records office or archives dept. at the local Council that issued the original registration. This is acceptable to the DVLA as proof of registration number but only if it shows the frame (VIN) number

Not all council records survive though, ie all London ones were destroyed. A book on the subject 'How to trace the History of your Car' by Philip Riden ISBN 1 898937 25 7 & published by Merton Priory Press 67 Merthyr Road, Whitchurch CF4 1DD covers this subject in detail together with a list of Records/Archive offices & the series of registration numbers they hold.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2016, 12:13 PM. Reason: New link added to DVLA web site, ref to DVLA local offices removed as they no longer exist

Registration

John how do i get on with a american bike ? With no docs ? Could i buy a number ? :d

Comment

Not sure on this one, best to first talk to DVLA & they will advise you of the forms to fill in & procedure to follow, there may also be import duty & VAT to pay. I would assume a dating certificate will be required from the club (Druid is the person to contact) otherwise you will be given a current number or even a Q plate. You will only be able to change the number to presumably one you have bought or have on retention, once its been first registered.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2016, 12:15 PM.

Comment

registration

thats what i had in mind register new bike and then re reg buying a 66 reg ?

Comment

I notice that the DVLA would like to close all 39 regional offices by the end of 2013.
          Could make registering our bikes a tad more difficult I fear.

Colin

Comment

Does that mean all new registrations will have to be taken to Swansea?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
              Does that mean all new registrations will have to be taken to Swansea?
              I'm sure the finer details will dribble out when they think it appropriate

Colin

Comment

DVLA axe local offices

There is obviously going to be a downside to this as far as registering vehicles is concerned. Many owners have found it easier to go to their local DVLA office & speak to someone 'over the counter' rather than try to deal with Swansea by telephone, post or email. I dont know what plans DVLA will put in place for inspecting vehicles, many owners have been required to take their vehicles along to the local office for inspection of VIN numbers etc. despite already being inspected by an owners club. One can only assume at this point that this work may be refered to the police or an approved MoT garage to carry out. One thing is certain its not going to make registration number recovery easier, & may put additional work onto DVLA approved clubs & independent authenticators

Comment

My thoughts were that they may have travelling inspectors again. I had one come when I was building my rally car. It didn't cost anything then, but it probably will now.

Comment

I think the inspectors were based at the local centres. So they wont be employed anymore.

Comment

registering a bike

Hi John
                      I have been swatting up on registering an off the road Scottish with no history details other than frame number.
                      I am happy with the arrangements for a dating cert etc (via Druid) and we still have local DVLA (Stockton), I think!
                      What are the costs involved with the DVLA?
                      Regards
                      Ken

Comment

registering a bike

Ken
                        If its retaining its original number then I dont think the DVLA themselves make a charge, but if it has to be re registered then there is a registration fee (DVLA will advise or you how much & you should be able to find it from their web site.
                        However you may need to go through a DVLA authenticator to get the bike registered, either the GRA or another independent one. (a list is available from the DVLA) they will make a charge. By filling in the neccessary forms you may be able to do it yourself, but the time & cost involved in doing this may exceed the cost of getting it done via an authenticator
                        Druid is the authenticator for the GRA.

Comment

registration

Having complied with the dvla request for their fees and forms I was astounded to get a letter saying the bike is to be inspected by a ministry inspector at there cost? Apparently this is becoming common with any vehicle prior to 1963. So I'm hoping to ride it some time this year? I have just registered an MV(1959) import sent off at the same time as the greeves and that got it's registration in no time is any body else having hassle ?

Comment

Registration

"The Inspector Calls"(J B Priestly play) He had a look took a couple of pictures and said no problem and as good as his word I now have a registration document and the all important Number now ordered a new no plate. so will definitely ride it this year. One up for perseverance and another Greeves back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
                              "The Inspector Calls"(J B Priestly play) He had a look took a couple of pictures and said no problem and as good as his word I now have a registration document and the all important Number now ordered a new no plate. so will definitely ride it this year. One up for perseverance and another Greeves back on the road.
                              Presumably then Mike this makes GRA inspections no longer necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X