X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    This one's a bit abstract.....

I call it 'Moorland Blue Sunset Over Water'.

Brian.

Now that's what I call art! Damian Hurst, pah!

Does look a tad grey though........

Comment

66(6.)

Why thank you Mr Z, most generous....

....although surely you must realise by now though that it's less Damian Hurst, more Damian Omen II.....

I agree the colour is a little 'faded' but although I tried valiantly to get my graphics program to upload a 'certified' sample of Moorland Blue, for some reason it crashed the whole system and nearly melted my hard drive....

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/12/2013, 12:26 AM. Reason: Missing 6.

Comment

More Greeves Artwork.

Back in the mists of time, I offered to help out with a project requiring a 'cartoon' type image of Dave Bickers, suitable for printing on a T-shirt. I thought members may be interested in seeing it, along with a little info on how it was produced.

Although of course photographs can easily be printed on all manner of materials these days, a 'graphic' image like a cartoon type drawing was felt to be what was required, and I agreed, seeing it as an opportunity to try and create an image similar to the way Greeves did it themselves on their original advertising material (see previous posts for more on this.) I decided I would try and combine traditional pen and ink/cut and paste techniques (i.e. with a scalpel and glue) together with modern computer software/graphics.

As such, I started with an original photograph of Dave Bickers (from the GRA Archive-cracking shot too!) Pic 1.

Without getting too 'techy', a normal b&w photograph is known as a continuous-tone, with all shades of grey from black to white contained in the image. Using computer software, it is possible to 'convert' this kind of image into a 'half-tone' image, i.e. JUST black and white, with no greys tones. Pic 2.

As can be seen, it's lacking detail and definition at this stage, but can be used to form the basis of the desired result, a 'line drawing'/cartoon like image. Study of this image showed me where I needed to bring out the initial details and shapes, so a print was made of the original continuous-tone photograph, with suitable shading and enhancement, and then I used a pen (remember those?!) to draw in the details needed to bring the image out of the background 'noise'. At this stage I also retouched a few areas by hand and added the 'No 1' to the number board, as befits the champ. Pic 3.

The next stage was to re-scan this (continuous-tone) image and convert it to a half-tone image again, and isolate it from the background. This was achieved using pen and brush (white poster paint) and scalpel, with the spokes being easily the most tedious aspect....yes, it was very fiddly and took quite a while! Pic 4.

The resulting delicate paperwork was then transfered to a new sheet of paper and glued down, and more pen, pencil shading and brush work was applied to complete the image. It was then rescanned and enhanced on the computer. At this stage I felt the image was nearly completed, but that the area around DB's boot was too dark and lacking detail. As such, a futher scan of the previous image, with a little more contrast and highlights was printed off, then the area in question cut out and pasted on top of the final artwork. A little more retouching to hide the joins, and the completed artwork was re-scanned and following a bit more retouching on the computer was completed. Pic 5.

The whole process took around 10 hours to complete, and although I had to compromise a bit with the 'knobblies' to create a cohesive and well defined image, I was rather pleased with the finished result.

Sadly, somewhere along the line wires got crossed, and as I had provided all five images shown here to illustrate (sic) the process I had used, just for interest, Pic 4 was 'chosen' for the project (in effect a 'working drawing'), instead of Pic 5, the finished camera-ready artwork.....sigh.

Oh well, I hope members find this (vaguely) interesting, and enjoy seeing the finished artwork (as it should have been....!) Kwon, and indeed shirt...(in joke! )

PS When viewing the images, start with pic 1 then click 'next' to open up the next pic and so until arriving back again at the pic 1. If you then position your cursor over 'next' and click repeatedly, each pic opens in quick succession like a kind of 'animation' and really highlights the differences of each stages of the process.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2018, 05:05 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

I have this excellent work of art in my hallway...
          Attached Files
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

The Sparrow Gallery.

Hi Colin,

You mean that brilliant framed painting of Don 'DR' Smith on the wall....?!

....you could have taken a better picture of it though mate....

Oh, the MCS looks mighty fine as well...!
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/12/2013, 04:31 PM. Reason: Speeling.

Comment

I had to take the photo from the kitchen, through the doorway, so I was restricted on width. Didn't think the lampshade reflection on the DRS portrait mattered that much.

The bike's a 24SCS Hawkstone by the way.

It makes me smile every time I pass it. That's what art's about, isn't it?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Art in metal.

Nice comeback! Couldn't agree more Colin, that's what it's all about int it...!

.....now, about the picture....is it your neighbours house then? Are they into Greeves as well? I was just wonderin' cos of the limited access....!

And when I said MCS, I was 'of course' refering to the 'DB' pic in the previous post....! (unless that's an SCS as well....?!)

But seriously, (if we must!) it really is a lovely bike mate. The silver Puddin' Basin is a nice display touch as well.

Brian.

Comment

Nicely framed.....

Comment

Chips off the old block....

Speaking of framing Brian.....I don't think this one is quite ready yet....

Anything you can do.....

Brian T.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      Nicely framed.....
                      You should know Brian, you've seen it. And it made you smile...
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, very true!

Comment

In the frame....

Oooooooo.....what can it be.....???

Comment

Still a Hawkstone last time I looked.
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

.....and smiled.

Good one Colin.

Comment

Colin declined to start it there for me.....something about windows....

Comment

Working...
                                X